DigFest 2016 Priddy (Mendip) - Featuring the Wessex Challenge and the BCA AGM

Darkstar

This years bi-annual DigFest promises to be an awesome event and will be hosting not only the Wessex Challenge, but also the BCA AGM. We have lots of exciting digs for you to visit and join in with (more details soon). There will also be a BBQ and Stomp on Saturday evening following the Wessex Challenge and a number of very interesting talks on Sunday for those not attending the BCA AGM. Be there or miss out!

Follow link for full details.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1697819670486054/?active_tab=posts

Darkstar

Hi Everyone,
We have the following digs confirmed for DigFest weekend:

? Grebe Swallet ? Chris Binding: Apparently it is absolutely guaranteed to go.  No ifs, buts or maybes?..
? Vurley ? Nick Chipchase and Chris Milne: A very exciting prospect
? Longwood Valley Sink ? Alison Moody: A long term prospect with excellent picnic facilities
? Tankard Shaft ? Duncan Simey: Massive potential here and a real opportunity to get involved with an unusual and interesting mine shaft dig.
? Blakes Farm Depression ? Graham Price: More holes than a swiss cheese on steroids. 

If you are looking for a dig, catch up with the above people in the Hunters on Friday evening or before to find out more info.

If you are a digger whose team has just realised what an immense mistake it was to not be on the list of available dig sites contact me and we will update the list accordingly.  Keep checking back for updates on the CSCC page.

Looking forward to seeing you all for a weekend of excess and awesomeness,
Faye xxx

Duncan S

Sorry Dark Star - Tankard won't happen.
The landowner is uncomfortable with the idea of letting a group into the dig as we as in the process of making the dig safer; much needed work. Sarah can't make it, and I'm running the cave photography workshop.
Hence we are having to pull Tankard from the list.

Darkstar

Hi Everyone,
Updated list of digs confirmed for DigFest weekend:

? Grebe Swallet ? Christopher Binding: Apparently it is absolutely guaranteed to go. No ifs, buts or maybes?..

? Longwood Valley Sink ? Alison Moody : A long term prospect with excellent picnic facilities

? Blakes Farm Depression ? Graham Price: More holes than a swiss cheese on steroids.

? Sludge Pit Hole ? Mike Kushy: A great cave with a lot to do. They have specially requested someone good with building walls. Do you fit the bill?

? Swildons Hole ? Josh Bratchley: Josh is looking for someone to help carry cylinders.

If you are looking for a dig, catch up with the above people in the Hunters on Friday evening or before to find out more info.

If you are a digger whose team has just realised what an immense mistake it was to not be on the list of available dig sites above contact me and we will update the list accordingly.

Keep checking back for updates on the CSCC page.
Looking forward to seeing you all for a weekend of excess and awesomeness,
Faye xxx
https://www.facebook.com/events/1697819670486054/permalink/1714509952150359/?notif_t=event_mall_comment&notif_id=1464215881247140

Ali M

Anyone is extremely welcome at LVS and there will be plenty of work to do, either on the surface or underground! In addition to the present work in Triassic Tunnel, it would be great to clear out the flood debris from last winter at the end of Main Rift/Tennis Ball Rift. This is all part of the ongoing Cheddar Gorge flood relief work.
If you don't want to dig, come and say hello and have a chat. :)

I will not be at the Hunters' on the Friday night so if you would like to join us please send me a PM.

estelle

Finally rang the landowner for Cutlers Green Sinkholes tonight as hadn't seen him on our digging nights for a while to ask him. He's happy for us to use that for digging. It's in his garden, so we need to plan vehicle sharing from the Belfry to keep the numbers of cars down, but we can utilise 10 or so people quite easily with the 2 relatively easy digs we have at the bottom and there are other possibilities in the top bit too. I'll be in the Hunters on the Friday night.

Maj

What attributes would be on your list for an ideal dig site?
Dry or wet?
Mud, rocks or gravel?
Easy or hard digging?
Surface dig?
How close or far from the entrance?
Space to work in (tight and awkward or spacious)?
Spoil dumping facilities?
Prospects of a break through?
Parking close by?
Somewhere within walking distance undercover/indoors to get changed?
Tea brew facilities?

Maj.

Duncan S

All of those plus...
Enough air to keep the diggers from getting breathless (thinking of Frome Dig in Cuckoo Cleeves).
A draught or water to follow.
A hint of rock stability
A half decent pub for the team to gather after the session to warm up and have a well earned pint

The Old Ruminator

We have one of the longest walks to site on Mendip I think but its pleasant enough. Parking OK back on the road. As for digging really glad to be out of the mud ( all winter ) but the boulders we are now in will need much engineering. Mind I enjoy that bit too. Always appreciate a good draught to follow and somewhere close to the dig face to dump stuff. A dependable team is a great asset too. Currently running three trips a week.

bograt

The Old Ruminator said:
We have one of the longest walks to site on Mendip I think but its pleasant enough. Parking OK back on the road. As for digging really glad to be out of the mud ( all winter ) but the boulders we are now in will need much engineering. Mind I enjoy that bit too. Always appreciate a good draught to follow and somewhere close to the dig face to dump stuff. A dependable team is a great asset too. Currently running three trips a week.

Take care against falling rocks O.R. you do seem to be a magnet for them  ::) ::)

Darkstar

CSCC DigFest 2016

Ever fancied finding new cave? Now's your chance. The diggers of Mendip will be opening their digs for you to visit and have a go.

? Digging
? Photography Workshop with Duncan Simey
? Digger's Question Time
? Wessex Challenge (hosted by the BEC)
? BBQ
? Stomp

Fri June 3rd

From 19:00, Hunter's Lodge Inn
? Dig Matchmaker - catch up with the above people named below in the Hunters on Friday evening or before to find out more info

Sites confirmed include:
? Longwood Valley Sink - Alison Moody: A long term prospect with excellent picnic facilities.

? Grebe Swallet - Chris Binding: Apparently it is absolutely guaranteed to go. No ifs, buts or maybes ?

? Blakes Farm Depression - Graham Price: More holes than Swiss cheese on steroids.

? Sludge Pit Hole - Mike Kushy: A great cave with a lot to do. They have specially requested someone good with building walls. Do you fit the bill?

? Cutlers ? Estelle Sandford: A very interesting site with two nice easy digs. Parking is limited so a bit of planning to car sharing is needed.

? Swildons Hole ? Josh Bratchley: Josh is looking for someone to help carry cylinders.

Sat June 4th From 10:00, Village Hall

? Final Dig Matchmaker

? Depart for dig, dig, digging.

? Meet digging teams and depart for caverns measureless.

? 10:00 Photography Workshop with Duncan Simey

? Dig-o-meter - It's not a competition but who found most.

? 17:00 Bar

? 17:30 Wessex Challenge (hosted by the BEC). To be held on the top green by the village hall.

? 19:00 BBQ

? Stomp till late with DJ

Sun June 5th

? 10:00-12:00 Village Hall
Digger's Question Time - A panel of digging experts will answer your questions. Chaired by Mike Kushy

? From 10:30, Hunter's Lodge Long Room
BCA AGM

Ali M

If anyone would like to help at LVS (Longwood valley Sink) please either turn up at the Wessex at 10.00am or meet at LVS at 11.00am.  Alternately you can speak to me at the Photo Competition at Wells Museum on Friday night or to Lee Venning at the Hunters'.

Roger W

Darkstar said:
CSCC DigFest 2016....

Sat June 4th From 10:00, Village Hall

? Final Dig Matchmaker

? Depart for dig, dig, digging.

? Meet digging teams and depart for caverns measureless.

? 10:00 Photography Workshop with Duncan Simey

? Dig-o-meter - It's not a competition but who found most.

? 17:00 Bar

? 17:30 Wessex Challenge (hosted by the BEC). To be held on the top green by the village hall.

? 19:00 BBQ

? Stomp till late with DJ

Will they be having that tune that's been banned on ukC?