Xmas Competition

Here's a little quiz for your entertainment, all you have to do is identify the twenty caves below.

PLEASE DO NOT SHOUT OUT THE ANSWERS

But do let us all know how many you've got and which one's you're struggling with.

E.g. Post something like "I've got all but three, 1, 5 and 13 have got me stumped".

The winner will be the first person to PM me a complete and correct list of answers.

Note, very few of these surveys are on the web so it's no good trawling any well known cave maps sites ;)

One.png

Two.png

Three.png

Four.png

Five.png

Six.png

Seven.png

Eight.png

Nine.png

Ten.png

Eleven.png

Twelve.png

Thirteen.png

Fourteen.png

Fifteen.png

Sixteen.png

Seventeen.png

Eighteen.png

Nineteen.png

Twenty.png

Pitlamp

Fascinating. Are you allowed to let us know if any are overseas?

More importantly, will you be telling us where they all are at some stage? I can only get about half of them I'm afraid.

dunc

Nice idea (y)
At the moment I've got 9, with 1 I'm not 100% sure of.. I'll have to go and scratch my head and see if I can work out any more!

Pitlamp said:

More importantly, will you be telling us where they all are at some stage? I can only get about half of them I'm afraid.

Full answers will be posted in the new year. No clues yet, I was thinking I might have made it too easy, but if two of the North's greatest cave geeks have only got half of them so far then maybe not.

dunc

Cave Mapper said:
Pitlamp said:

Full answers will be posted in the new year. No clues yet, I was thinking I might have made it too easy, but if two of the North's greatest cave geeks have only got half of them so far then maybe not.
Hmm, think I'll take that as a compliment..  :-\

1 & 2 - I've got vague ideas for both but not overly confident with at present.
3, 4, 5, 10, 15, 18, 20 - don't know at the moment.
The rest I (hopefully) have got...

kay

Well, not being a proper caver, I didn't expect to get any - but I recognised no 12 instantly. And then no 19, but not in a form I'd seen before. So I feel well pleased with myself, and will leave it there, and go back to struggling with the RSS quiz (which has nothing to do with caving whatever).

Thanks for posting this, and I look forward to seeing the results in the new year.

Elaine

Brilliant idea for a quiz. I got them all except No's 2 and 6.
Oh yes, and No's 4 and 14 and 15.
And No 19 and 20

And 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 17, and 18.

BUT. Number 10 did look familiar.

Beardy

Fantastic quiz - if not a little frustrating Mr Mapper ;-)

Struggling with 3,4,5, 15 & 20
(number 4 is driving me mad - i've seen it somewhere before....) 
So a little work left to do....

Think i have the other 15 in the bag so to speak....

Regards
Beardy

dunc

Two days later and I might have an idea on 15, but same as for no.1&2, not overly confident!

At what point do we start getting clues? as Beardy says a little frustrating!! and I'm running out of head to scratch..

dunc said:
At what point do we start getting clues? as Beardy says a little frustrating!! and I'm running out of head to scratch..

2nd Clue: Most are well known, or were, or if they weren't then maybe they are now.

kay

No more clues please! Spoils the fun for those who haven't already seen it  :tease:
(though I could have done with clue no1 before I sat down with "Mendip Underground" and "Caves of the Peak District"

oldboy

I can't get any of them :(
That's probably because I ain't been caving too often lately.
Is there a booby prize?  :clap:

dunc

kay said:
No more clues please! Spoils the fun for those who haven't already seen it  :tease:
Is three weeks long enough for everyone to have seen it??

I can't get any further than 13/14 without further clues!

And the winner is ...

Dunc - with 14 correct answers PM'ed to me.
Beardy gets an honourable mention for claiming to have got 15, but without submitting his answers his claim can not be verified.

So, Dunc is 'The 2010 Walking Cave Encyclopedia of the Year'. Well done Dunc.

I promise that next year's quiz, if there is one, will be easier. However, I still can't get over the fact that neither Dunc nor Beardy recognised Number 3.

dunc

Number 3  :-[ now I've got the answer I can see it (well, you do when you have the answer) - just shows how slight differences in surveying methods can make a difference to the look, although that 'boulder' half way down threw me.