how far do you go

Cave_Troll

IF a new cave is found. beautiful delecate Stals and straw, pristine coloured flowstone on the floor, calcite hairs and flowers on the walls.

In addition to raised taping, i might be tempted to put down 3" high or so vertical boarding to prevent mud being kicked over the flowstone.

Is there a conflict between cave conservation and effectivley turning it into a show cave.

How far is acceptable to go? the ultimate would be a transparent tube threading its way through the cave.

cap n chris

The Speleo Avalon conservation slideshow provides some good examples of what can be done and what happens when it isn't done. Check it out at:-

http://users.skynet.be/sky75112/avalonuk/protection/protection_diashow.htm

You can take rolls of polythene to lay over delicate floors, wear neoprene socks for walking, use your regional Conservation & Access officer's Leica Disto Laser Distance Meter for assisting with your surveying without trampling the floors unnecessarily. (All UK caving regions now have these devices - freely available specifically for conservation-aware cavers who make discoveries which require delicate surveying).

You can also have a dirty/clean area on the approach where you can change into clean/cleaner gear for the pretty bits and avoid spreading mud around by so doing. The degree to which you do things will obviously be affected by the difficulty/ease of the approach to the site - you probably won't want to drag heavy bags of conservation gear miles to protect three yards of floor, for example. Some taped pathways can be made VERY NARROW INDEED (if the ceiling isn't low) thereby minimising the affected area.

The "problem" with discovering new cave (and pretty bits) is that the moral obligation to protect it falls onto the shoulders of the discoverers; remember, the majority of the damage is done in the first few trips so conservation needs to start early. Given the ease with which it is now possible to get digital pictures underground I would strongly recommend photographing EVERYTHING so you also have a record for later comparison. Any conflict between conservation and going over the top will be down to the diggers to discuss and agree upon, I suppose.

Cave_Troll

actually Robins didn't go last weekend. (unless you mean the air, which did "go")
we've been joking about tyvek suits and the like. now if i found somethin really nice I'd certainly
install raised taping
consider "kick catchers" to catch mud splats and bits falling off boots.
consider signs at the very least reminding to repect tape and possible asking cavers to proceed only in undersuits and wetsocks.
"low ceiling" signs.
Personally i'd rather walk along elevated walkway with hadrails if i could still see the formations and floor in pristine state, but i'm sure there are some people who might see this an an abomination.

on a side note, interesting bit about gates in that document. I'm all in favour of controlling access for environmental reasons.

Cave_Troll

Does the DCA have a Disto then? if it does i assume that its only for projects that needs it . as opposed to "can't be arsed with tape measure