• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Northern Ireland visit

moorebooks

I have secured a visit to Carrickfergus Salt Mines later this year and was wondering if any one has any thoughts /ideas of other mining / industrial sites worth visiting as we would like to make make a few days of it

I also need accommodation for 7 people again anyone with local knowledge would be appreciated

mike

For new and used caving and mining books see my website www.moorebooks.co.uk

Penguin

There's a lot of mining heritage along the Antrim coast and in the glens.  There's a guidebook available but is hard to get hold of. 

Al

moorebooks

I know of the book  I sold lots of copies including my own  :cry:.

I was hoping someone might have personal knowledge which they could share particularly accommodation

Mike

moorebooks

Penguin said:
On the north coast there's Sheep Island View Hostel that i've stayed in a few times and is very nice, but may be a bit too far north.  www.sheepislandview.com

Thanks for the pointer it is a bit of a distance unfortunately - does anyone else have any suggestions?
other than where to get decent Guinness?

Mike

J

jockread

If you don't fancy staying in Belfast check this bunkhouse out http://www.ford-farm.co.uk/Camping%20Barn.htm.  Much more rural Ireland but only half an hour from Belfast and 15mins drive to Kilroot

Your right beside the gobbins here.  Google it, a very interesting old Victorian coastal path that makes for an adventurous day out.

Any spare space for a trip to the salt mines?  I live locally and would love a chance to visit them

cheers

jock