Another rigging question - Yordas this time

JoW

Another rigging question...

Does anyone know if the 'other' middle entrance to Yordas (not the one in the rigging guide) has any bolts? Or is it just used as a free climb? And I seem to remember the pitch after that having bolts on the left as well as the main way on the right, but I could be misremembering...

Shame they don't put all of the bolts on the rigging guides as sometimes they're useful (and could be in a different colour or something to show they're unofficial...)

malcolm smith

From memory, there is a p bolt on the other middle entrance.
Yes, there are bolts on the left, it's an easier way down the pitch too.
Not been there this year, I assume they're still there.

CNCC

Hi JoW

I don't know specifically the answer to your question but it sounds like Malcolm has already answered this.

Regarding inclusion of other (non CNCC-installed) anchors on our topos. This has been discussed and carefully considered in a couple of meeting over the past few years. Unfortunately, for safety and liability reasons, the CNCC needs to be very clear that we can only endorse the use of CNCC-approved anchors which have been installed in accordance with BCA anchor policy. This is the only way to ensure that the anchor has been installed by someone who has been properly trained, using an approved batch of anchors, in-date resin etc etc.

To put non-CNCC approved anchors on our topos (even if in a different colour) could be deemed tantamount to endorsing their use.

It is not a completely black and white situation. In some places our cave descriptions (but not topos) might reference non-CNCC approved anchors as navigational markers, or to specifically advise against using them (particularly where they are of the same anchor type as CNCC ones), or in rare cases where knowledge of their existence may be useful in the event of an incident (e.g. for escaping a flood).

On the whole though, as much as we strive to provide as much information to cavers as possible, we cannot endorse or encourage the use of non-CNCC approved anchors; and so for that reason you will not see them on our topos.

Sorry!

Matt Ewles, CNCC Secretary