Mining Books for Sale

rhychydwr1

Please quote Mining List No 1
I am moving to a smaller house and need to reduced my collection of mining books.  Postage extra.  The more books you buy, the cheaper the postage. Revised 16.12.08
Contact me on tonyfoldham@hotmail.com
or Tony Oldham, 34 Park Road, Cwmpark, Treorchy, CF42 6LE

THE MINES OF THE FOREST OF DEAN and surrounding areas by Tony Oldham [2000] 65 pp surveys illus etc. Includes Coal, Iron and even a Gold Mine! A gazetteer which lists all the mines together with brief descriptions, NGR etc. Companion edition to Caves of the FoD. SB Reprinted October 2008  ?10.00

THE CAVES AND MINES OF ANGLESEY by Tony Oldham January 2006 ix + 57 pp, illus, surveys, 3 pages of colour photos. Anglesey is overshadowed by the great Parys Mountain copper mine. This book describes many of the smaller mines including the long forgotten coal mines at Berw. Usual gazetteer style: name, NGR description and references. SB ?7.50

By popular request - the abbreviations: HB = Hard Bound, usually in publisher's cloth; SB = Soft bound; DW = Dust wrapper; G = Good; VG = Very Good etc. pf post free

MEMOIRS OF THE GEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF IRELAND The Geology of the Ballycastle Coalfield Co Antrim by W B Wright with chapters on the Palaeontology by E A Newell Arber. 1924 187 pp 8 plates, 22 illus SB ?25.00

AA TOURING MAP OF IRELAND a new double-sided easy to read map of Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland (scale five mile one inch). The map includes clear town plans of Belfast and Dublin. Second-hand - some wear and tear ?1.00

MINES OF IRELAND is long out of print but is available on a CD-ROM. A more useable format as one can do word search etc. Winword6 format. Also includes many colour photographs. ?5.00

MENDIP MINING COMPANY - Share Certificate No 995 dated 14th November 1856. A genuine reproduction in a nice glazed mahogany looking frame. ?10.00

INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF THE ISLE OF MAN by T A Bawden et al. 1972 266 pp 25 photos, 18 maps and illus. Definitive book on the mines of the Isle of Man. HB DW VG ?38.00

THE CAVERNS AND MINES OF MATLOCK BATH Part 1 Rutland and Masson Caverns by Roger Flindal and Andrew Hayes 1976 72 pp 24 plates 16 figs. A popular tourist attraction for over 175 years, this book describes the history and the parts not visited by the visitor. Rare and long out of print. SB ?12.00

THE UNDERGROUND WORLD: / A Mirror of / Life Below the Surface / with vivid descriptions of the / Hidden works of Nature and Art / comprising / Incidents and Adventures beyond the light of day. / Interesting Sketches / of Mines and mining in all parts of the world - caves and their mysteries - famous tunnels - down in the depth of the sea. Volcanoes and their eruptions - petroleum - underground life of man and lower animals. Subterranean work of the Ancients. Buried treasure etc, etc. Profusely illustrated by Thos W Knox 1876 Hartford USA. 1016 pp 125 steel engravings. Despite this book's verbose title, (and its description of the 'Gambling Hells of Baden') this is a nicely illustrated mining book. HB some wear, title page in photocopy. ?59.00

CAVE MINERALS OF THE WORLD by Carol A Hill and Paolo Forti, with a historical introduction by Trevor R Shaw. 1986 218 pp, 135 figs, 35 colour plates, tables etc. This is the rare first edition, still available at the original price. HB ?25.00

CAVE PHOTOGRAPHY Practical guide by Chris Howes 1987, 67 pp numerous plates and diagrams. Long out of print. covers equipment, preparations, flash etc. The same principals apply to mining photography. SB?12.00

IDROGEOLOGIA DEL BACINO MINERARIO DELL?IGLESIENTE [Hydrogeology of the Mining River Basin of the Iglesiente] by Massimo Civita et al 1983 137 pp, 21 colour photos, 2 large colour maps in a folder at the rear, hydrology of Iglesiente and Geology of Iglesiente, numerous illus and tables. Published as Part 2, Series II, Memorie dell?Istituto Italiano di Speleologia. This is a detail account of the Pb, Zn mines of the area. Large scale mining started very early and reached ground-water level in the 18th century. Since 1870 better technology enabled miners to reach a depth of 200 m below sea level. SB In Italian with English summary ?12.00

FRAGMENTS OF MINE AND MILL IN WALES by A J Richards 2002 128 pp illus A collection of mining photos taken over the last 40 years. ?9.50

SLATE FROM ABERGYNOLWYN / THE STORY OF BRYNEGLWYS SLATE QUARRY by Alan Holmes Alan, 1999.  Second edition, fully revised.  144 pp 29 plates, 21 figs.  ?10.00

WE ALSO STOCK CAVING BOOKS ? ASK FOR A LIST

THE GOLD MINES OF MERIONETH by  G W Hall 1st edition 1971?  130  pp illus.  SB ex library  ?15.00

Please quote MINING 8  [list Nos 2-7 sold out]

Anstis, Ralph 1990  The Industrial Teagues and the Forest of Dean  204 pp  illus. The Teagues family prospered in one generation they rose from being uneducated miners to being powerful mine owners.  HB, DW ?14.95

Anstis, Ralph 1997 Man of Iron - Man of Steel / The lives of David and Robert Mushet (famous mine owners)216 pp illus.  Long out of print ? SB as new ?20.00

Anstis, Ralph 1999 Blood on Coal / The 1926 General Strike and Miners? Lockout in the Forest of Dean.  120 pp photos.  Black Dwarf Publications, Lydney, Glos. SB  ?9.99

Waters, Brian 1951 The Forest of Dean 182 pp  16 plates.  A good account of Coal and Iron Mines.  HB DW in poor condition but the book is VG ?15.00

Field Dr Graham J 1978 A Look Back at Norchard 91 pp illus  A good account of coal mining at the Norchard Colliery near Lydney from the earliest times to closure a detailed history providing an interesting insight into coal mining which produced high grade coal but which was bedeviled by underground water problems.  SB ?12.00

Please quote Mining  List No 9.

MINES AND MINERS; or Underground Life by L SIMONIN,  translated, adapted to the present state of British Mining and edited by H W Bristow [1868] 522 pp, 165 figs, 16 colour plates, 14 geological maps.  Binding weak, front cover loose, lack rear ep, Spine present, but detached. o/w contents G.  HB.  Well worth having rebound.  ?150.00

Lewis M T J 1987 The Slate Quarries of North Wales in 1873 100 pp illus.  SB ?7.50

THE MINES OF SHROPSHIRE AND Montgomeryshire with Cheshire and Staffordshire / Metalliferous and Associated Minerals 1845-1913  by Roger Burt et al 1990  164 pp.  This book provides  details of ownership, management and employment of over 250 mines.  SB ?17.00

THE MINES OF CARDIGANSHIRE / Metalliferous and Associated Minerals 1845-1913  by Roger Burt et al 1986  92 pp.  This book provides details of ownership, management and employment of over 250 mines.  SB ?5.00

THE ABANDONED MINES OF WEST CARBERRY /Promoters, Adventurers, and Mines by D Cowman and T A Reilly 164 pp, illus.  SB.  A true account of daring and skulduggery.  SB  ?12.00

MEMOIR OF LOCALITIES OF MINERALS OF ECONOMIC  IMPORTANCE AND METALLIFEROUS MINES IN IRELAND / Mem Geol Surv Ireland by Grenville A J Cole 1922 reprinted 1988  155 pp  A facsimile copy describing all known mines in the whole of Ireland.  An important reference work. SB  ?9.50

THE BEREHAVEN COPPER MINES [Allihies, West Co Cork]  by R A Williams  British Mining No 42  238 pp, illus.  Rare first edition and long out of print book  . SB ?12.00

Please quote Mining Books, List No 10

Wren, Wilfrid J 1968 The Tanat Valley / Its Railways and Industrial Archaeology. 192 pp.  Chapters include: The Lead Mines 30 pp; The Slate Mines 13 pp; The Granite Quarries 4 pp; The Phosphate Mines 2 pp.  In photocopy the 36 pages free with order

INDUSTRY BEFORE THE INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION, Incorporating a study of the Chartered Companies of The Society of Mines Royal and of Mineral and Battery Works.  by William Rees 1968  Vol 1 & Vol 2,  698 pp, illus.  An important work for anyone interesting in mining in Wales and the Borders.  Photocopy.  ?1.00

GEOLOGY OF THE COUNTRY AROUND DUNGANNON by A Fowler et al, Memoirs of the Geological Survey.  1961  274 pp illus.  HB ex library.  ?25.00

THE GEOLOGY OF THE BALLYCASTLE COALFIELD Co Antrim, Memoirs of the Geological Survey of Ireland by W B Wright, with chapters on the Palaeontology by E A Newell Arber.  1924  187 pp illu.  SB ?25.00

THE INTERBASALTIC ROCKS (Iron Ores and Bauxites) of North-East Ireland by G A J Cole et al 1912  129 pp, with coloured geological map in rear.  HB ?25.00

REGIONAL GEOLOGY OF NORTHERN IRELAND, Geological Survey of Northern Island by H E Wilson 1972  115 pp, illus.  SB ?5.00

Prichard, Tom et al 1985 The Old Gunpowder Factory at Glynneath 46 pp illus.  SB ?5.00

MINING IN SHROPSHIRE by Adrian Pearce1995  98 pp, many illustrations.  A nice pictorial account of the mines.  SB ?7.95

CONISTON COPPER MINES / A Field Guide by Eric Holland 1986 120 pp, 54 figs mainly surveys. SB  ?6.00

Hatherall, Gordon and Anne 2001 Slate Quarry Album  88 pp illus.  RCL Publications,  Original SB ?9.95

Please quote Mining List No 14
I am moving to a smaller house and need to reduced my collection of mining books.  Postage extra.  The more books you buy, the cheaper the postage.
Contact me on tonyfoldham @ hotmail.com
or Tony Oldham, 34 Park Road, Cwmparc, Treorchy, CF42 6LE
Postage is extra.  4 kg cost ?8.24 but 20 kg is only ?13.33, so it pays to buy in bulk  

THE MINES OF MENDIP by J W Gough rare 1st edition 1930  269 pp  There is a close correlation between caves and mines, hence the inclusion of this book in a caving library.  A definitive history of the long and chequered career of these ancient and once famous industries.  Interesting anecdote here.  When this book was reprinted in 1967 the author was only able to add 2 pages of corrections / addition information.  If any of my books get revised after a few years we are talking about a 100% re-write.  The 1967 edition is long out of print and is selling at ?35.00.  This copy, HB original publishers cloth binding.  Spine shabby and corner bumped o/w VG a bargain at ?55.00

FAMOUS CAVES AND CATACOMBS by W H Davenport Adams 2nd ed 1888  204 pp,  40 illus, original blue cloth with picture cover of the Blue Grotto.  Grottoes of Samoun, Grottoes of Karli, Grotto of Panaglia, Grotte of Posilipo and many others.  All man-made, hence the inclusion of this book in a mining list.  Couple of mines described, Maestricht and Wieliczka.  HB, usually ?40 but this copy with shabby covers, spine split and a little grubby inside is a bargain at ?25.00

SURREY?S ANCIENT STONE MINES by Peter Burgess 2007  204 pp, numerous illus, mine plans etc.  From the Middle Ages they proved valuable building stone.  SB ?15.00

INVESTIGATING AND IDENTIFYING ROCKS by E Emlyn Evans  reprinted from AMGUEDDFA (14) Summer 1973  pp 16-27, colour photos.  SB ?1.00

HAFODLAS SLATE QUARRY Bettws-y-Coed by Griff R Jones 1998  209 pp, numerous photos, plans etc.  A detailed study. SB signed copy ?12.50

GRAZING SLATE The North Wales Slate Landscapes by Roger Tilley 1994 with an introduction by Dr Merfyn Jones  35 pp, and 41 plates and 41 pages un-numbered, location map.  A fine record of a fast disappearing landscape.  SB ?13.95

A MINERALOGY OF WALES by Richard E Bevins 1994  146 pp, numerous colour photos, c one a page.  Invaluable for identifying minerals.  SB ?25.00

LEWIS MORRIS  and the Cardiganshire Mines by David Bick and Philip Wyn Davies 1994  89 pp, 11 plates, 29 figs.  Fascination account of an early mining pioneer.  HB DW ?12.50

ROSS ISLAND, Mining, Metal and Society in Early Ireland by William O?Brian  Bronze Age Studies 6 Dept of Archaeology, National University of Ireland, Galway.  2004  800 pages, 120 Plates, 259 line drawing.  A monograph on the oldest copper mines in Ireland.  HB ?50.00  [4 kg including packing post ?6.85]

GEOLOGY OF THE FOREST OF DEAN COAL AND IRON-ORE FIELD by F M Trotter 1964 95 pp, illus.  HMSO HB a rare item ?30.00

THE MINES OF FLINTSHIRE AND DENBIGHSHIRE  by Roger Burt et al 1992 167 pp, SB as new ?12.95

THE SLATE REGIONS OF NORTH AND MID WALES AND THEIR RAILWAYS by Alun John Richards 1999  279 pp, maps etc.  SB ?7.50

A GAZETEER OF THE WELSH SLATE INDUSTRY by Alun John Richards 1991  239 pp, maps etc.  SB ?6.90

THE MINES OF NEWENT AND ROSS by DAVID Bick 1987  88 pp, illus.  HB DW VG ?12.00

THE COPPER MINES OF SNOWDON by David Bick 1982  129 pp, illus.  HB DW  ?12.00

MINE ENGRAVINGS from: 
Tony Oldham, 34 Park Road, Cwmparc, Treorchy, CF42 6LE, UK
Email tonyfoldham@hotmail.com
Please quote list ME1/2008

1.  Fahlun-Minen.  A Swedish Iron Mine which could be mistaken for a cave, except for the gantry above it.  10.5 x 16 cm  ?15.00

2 Bunker?s-Hill Mine, North Staffordshire, the scene of the late fatal explosion.  24 x 16 cm.  ?5.00

3 Fammer Przykos in dem Salzberwerken von Wielietzka.  C Reiss del.  B Metzroth sc.  Showing a boat on a lake in the Wielietzka Aalt Mine, Poland.  11 x 14.5 cm.  ?10.00

4 Thrang Crag Slate Quarry, Great Langdale, Westmorland. [The property of Lord Lother] 1835 15.5 x 11 cm.  Enormous chamber with about 12 workmen.  ?10.00

5 Salt Caverns of Berchtezgaden, Bavaria.  15 x 12 cm.  With text.  From The World?s Great Nations.  ?10.00

6 Gregory Gold Diggings, Colorado, May 1859.  15 x 10 cm.  11 men, one women, panning sluicing etc.  ?5.00

7 Kupfer und Zincmine ?Providence? in Cornwall by J Huyd  1877.  Mine overlooking the sea.  17.5 x 12 cm.  ?5.00

8  The Swaithe Main Colliery explosion, near Barnsley: finding the dead. Bodies.  1875  23.5 x 12.5 cm  ?5.00

9 The Swaithe Main Colliery explosion, near Barnsley: The Colliery.  1875  9 x 23 cm  ?5.00

10 The Page Bank Colliery Pit on fire.  1858  24 x 17 cm.  ?5.00

11 The Astley Deep Pit Colliery, Dukinfield: scene of late explosion.  23.5 x 16 cm  ?5.00

12 The Colliery Explosion at Wigan.  Three engravings on one page:  View of the Colliery; Bringing up the dead; Identification of the dead.  21 x 32 cm.  ?10.00

13 Explosion at Mossfield Colliery, North Staffordshire : Scene at the Head.  23 x 28 cm  From Illustrated London News.  ?10.00

13 Ton Beam of the 90 inch Engine , Taylor?s Shaft b & w postcard  ?1.00

ZBORNIK VOL 12 [BULLETIN] of the Mining-Geological-Petroleum Engineering Faculty of the University of Zagreb and the Croatian Society of Mining Engineers.  2000  159 pp, illus.  Plenty of articles of mining interest:  The Construction of an Underground Explosive Store; Comminution ? the first step in mineral dressing;  On Mining Entrenpreneurship in Banovina (Croatia), important article listing and describing the history of working, minerals and location; an article on ?Underground Castles? even mention Green [=Grimes] Graves and the Great Orme Mines.  SB in Croatian with English summaries.  SB ?10.00

MINING FOR METALS IN WALES by F J North, 1962.  111pp in 3 sections From Prehistoric times to the Dark Ages,  From the Tudor Renaissance to the Mine Adventurers and the last two centuries, climax and decline.  Illus. Photocopy ?1.00

THE SLATE QUARRY ALBUM by Gordon and AnnHatherley 2001 88pp glossy A4 publication several illus on each page many in colour.  Welsh slate tramways and their equipment, Personal notes and observations. sb ?6.00

THE FREE MINERS OF THE FOREST OF DEAN AND HUNDRED OF ST BRIAVELS by Cyril Hart (signed copy) 2002 598pp hb with dw  Part 1 Pre 1831, Part 2 1831-2002 15 plates  a reprint of a very rare book now updated.  The definitive volume on the free mines of the Forest of Dean.  ?36.00

Boyd J I C Narrow Gauge Railways of Mid-Wales.  300 pp photocopy.  Free with order.

THE OLD COPPER MINES OF SNOWDONIA by David Bick 1982  129 pp  illus.  A wealth  of historical and technical detail, an essential field guide for the industrial arch?ologist.  Out of print, only a few copies left.  HB DW ?12.00

THE OLD COPPER MINES OF SNOWDON. By David Bick 2003 160 pp illus A history of the many copper mines and what there is now. Sb  Second revised edition ?9.95

Pettus, Sir John 1770  Fodinae Regales or the History, Laws and Places of the Chief Mines and Mineral Works in England, Wales... xxii + 115 pp illus.  Photocopy ?2.50

ROMAN MINE by J & N Tuck 1971 reprinted c 1981  50 pp figs surveys and location map.  Pub as BEC Caving Report No 15  Exciting account of opening up of a mine in Gwent that had been closed since Roman times. photocopy SB ?5.00

YESTERDAYS GOLCONDAS / notable British metal mines by R H Bird 1977  137 photos with half a column of text.  A nice picture book.  HB DW as new! ?25.00

THE MINES OF SOUTH WESTERN SCOTLAND by Tony Oldham 2005.  35 pp, 5 surveys cum location maps, 18 colour photos including colour front and rear covers.  The mines of south-western Scotland are virtually unknown to most of the inhabitants of England and Wales.  In many ways it is a lost and forgotten area.  An area of wild beauty, noted more for its agriculture and scenery than for its industries.  It has never been of great importance as a centre of mining; nevertheless the scattered occurrences of metalliferous ores that have been worked from time to time are relatively poorly covered in literature.  The two main works by G V Wilson (1921) and James R Foster-Smith (1967) are long out of print and difficult to obtain.  This present work hopes to overcome this problem by recording those deposits, which are known to exist, and which have been worked or investigated in past times.  There is no active mining in the area at present, though some small-scale mining continued as late as 1954. Laminated covers.  ?7.50

I am moving to a smaller house and need to reduced my collection of mining books.  Postage extra.  The more books you buy, the cheaper the postage.
Contact me on tonyfoldham@hotmail.com
or Tony Oldham, 34 Park Road, Cwmparc, Treorchy, CF42 6LE