Photo of Buster Wright

Can someone provide me with a colour (ideally) photo of Buster in a cave, and also permision to reproduce it in a book I am preparing.

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Graham

Mark

Got this if its any good, I have never been any good at pics underground

Attachments

• busterwinster006_zps63f88115.JPG
    busterwinster006_zps63f88115.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 177

Mark

T pot 2 said:
Isthat Hartle Dale mine, pindale number 3 shaft or wham engine shaft or wrong on all counts.

No its a one we went down near Painters Way at Winster, went into a big natural rift cave.

Attachments

• busterwinster004_zps2a210f39.JPG
    busterwinster004_zps2a210f39.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 154

pwhole

I seem to remember someone telling me about this descent - was it Old Bess Shaft? The ginging was essentially hanging on not much at all? Went into nearby Wet Sough a few years ago and the abundance of undug natural down there was amazing - tubes a metre diameter just full of sediment. Nowhere to put the spoil of course ;)

AR

Probably John Wood that told you the tale of Buster and Old Bess, Phil - IIRC what he told me that was a winch job, Buster dropped so far down then frantically called surface to get winched back and reported that the shaft ginging was supported on some fine arching that was apparently resting on nothing....

pwhole

Yep, it would have been John. He did mention that most of the remaining undug cave around there was mostly down to lack of interest and staff more than anything else.

yrammy

Today would have been Busters birthday. Happy Birthday Buster wherever you are

Attachments

• IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 153

Mark

From memory it was about here somewhere?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 08.31.18.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 08.31.18.png
    740.2 KB · Views: 155

pwhole

Ah - it's not Old Bess Shaft then, as that's north of the farm. I can't remember the name of these mines but I don't think it's Yatestoop - AR will remember faster than me ;)

shotlighter

pwhole said:
Ah - it's not Old Bess Shaft then, as that's north of the farm. I can't remember the name of these mines but I don't think it's Yatestoop - AR will remember faster than me ;)
Plackett?

Pitlamp

pwhole said:
I seem to remember someone telling me about this descent - was it Old Bess Shaft? The ginging was essentially hanging on not much at all? Went into nearby Wet Sough a few years ago and the abundance of undug natural down there was amazing - tubes a metre diameter just full of sediment. Nowhere to put the spoil of course ;)

Flopjack?  :D

pwhole

It's possible that they may be part of the 'Innocent' mine complex, according to a document I have by Jim Rieuwerts. The Winster/Wensley liberty boundary runs down the track (is it Wet Sough Lane?), so the workings east of that are in Wensley liberty. I can see a large shaft top in Google Earth that might be the one. Sadly all my surface photos are just around the farm area on the Yatestoop line. Which reminds me, it is possible that John Wood or Dave Penney may have photos of Buster? I saw the green 'caravan' interior when John showed me round the site a few years ago, and it's like a time capsule from when all the digging stopped.

A topless calendar on the wall had "When will my husband be coming home!?" (or words to that effect) scrawled all over it in black marker pen ;)

Fishes

It is Wet Sough lane.

Many of the mines on this hillside between Elton and Matlock show extensive solution features and a lot of the mining activity was based around the extraction of fill with enough galena to make it pay. It really is a fascinating area.