Kids and caving - suggestions please

Rachel

Does anyone have any suggestions of caves in the Dales where I can take my (well-hard caver) 3-year old? She breezed through Browgill, loved Old Ing (being passed over the puddles) and likes nothing better than a spot of chin deep wading in Valley Entrance. We're getting a bit stuck for more trips though. The main problem is that at 3ft high, even moderately uneven floors, like the easy passage up to Dr Bannisters are really hard as she just disappears down the cracks that us big people would just stride over. The passages also have to be reasonably big, otherwise with her running and me crawling, I have to tie a rope round her middle to avoid losing her down a dig.

All suggestions welcome!

Rachel

dunc

Have you tried the ones at Ribblehead- Thistle, Runscar etc (although by the sounds of it they'll be too easy!!? :? )

Its not easy trying to think of caves suitable for 3year olds!!!!
ok.. how about...
Great Douk Cave - mostly walking in a pleasant stream passage (generally easy going, but then I'm not 3ft high), unless you do through trip which is crawling at end.. entrance might be a problem but if theres two of you it would be easy enough.

Goyden Pot - Must be a good few years since I was last there and can't remember what all of it was like, but might be worth a look..

Dow Cave - ? although thats only a short trip to Hobson Choice.

Long Kin East Cave - as far as the cascades is pleasant easy passage.

Ibbeth Peril - can't remember (long time etc) but is it easy going (bit of a crawl) to a short climb then big blocks in the main chamber which might be a problem?

Have you thought about going for a mine, something like Smallcleugh perhaps??

Erm... ye (this ain't easy) :shock: can't think of anything else!
Hope that helps anyway,
Dunc
:)

Rachel

Cheers Dunc,

Ribblehead sounds promising if this damn weather ever gets any better! I haven't heard of a few of the others you mentioned, so I'll have to have a recce there - should be fun anyway.

Ibbeth Peril's a bit of a no-go though. Like you said, the boulders are a bit on the big side.

Rachel

Stu

short drop to the first pitch or, because it is about 3m high and easy to rig a ladder/handline, you could go all the way... then back. some of the pools can be up to a 5'7" adults thigh and like most dales caves it'd have to be a dry day. plenty of diversions along the way. as a side issue, i was intrigued by some peoples (and even the guide books) description about difficult to navigate through. if your feet are wet ie in the the stream, your going the right way.