Re-use of eco hangers!!!

T

tiggs

Having just read the thread for the appeal of Eco hangers

:mad: It would seem it is been considered removing hangers and reusing them else where ! Due to lack of supply or what ever

I cant believe what i have just read ! as a active caver for a number of years i would now say that the majority of caver's would 'expect' that the Eco hangers placed in a cave were brand new and fixed by a compitant person in accordance with manufacture guidelines

I Know that we should all take responsibility for visually checking hangers before use but how many people really do?

I am sure that if this is going to happen the insurance company's etc will not offer any cover what so ever

I would like to hear you views, How will we know in the future which hangers are second hand? i am sure that the manufacture never tested ones that were fixed, removed,then re fixed,then tested You only need to look In Yordas Cave how they were tested to distruction how could they ever be reused?
Diggerdog

(diggerdog of line for the mo)

Les W

Reuse of anchors has not been considered by BCA, they are far to responsible to consider it as an option for the same reasons you point out.

It was just suggested by some of the forum members here as a solution to the short term problem of getting caves reopened. BCA hs sourced plenty of NEW anchors to achieve this if required.

In the longer term a source of NEW anchors is being sought by BCA to continue the anchor program. They are well under way with this but in the meantime there are enough anchors for maintenance bolting.

shotlighter

The only thing I'd re use ecohangers for is what I'm re using 'em for now - security bolting stuff to the garage floor. Not for dangling off!!