Are Formula1 branded tools good value?

ZombieCake

My red Italian car needed some stuff doing to it. (OK it's a FIAT, but I can dream... :sleep: ...) After playing with a large bunch of tools in an over weight bag I've ordered this to keep the weight down and save a bit of space as it has the sockets, hex & torx I need in a reasonably small space:  https://products.wera.de/en/red_bull_racing_tools_8100_sa_6_zyklop_speed_red_bull_racing.html  Cost was ?100 as near as dammit.  I've had a few Wera screwdrivers before and they are pretty good compared to others, so thought I'd take the plunge.
Anyone else got any decent tool recommendations?

nickwilliams

Snap-on - expensive but the standard by which others are judged (when it comes to spanners, at least). Lifetime warranty (that's your lifetime, not the tools)

Bahco/Sandvik - Widely available, good quality but fairly pricey.

Britool - Owned by the same people as Facom (Stanley Black and Decker). Went through a bad quality patch 10 - 20 years ago, but now a reasonable price/quality balance.

Gearwrench - Compares well with Snap-on

Starrett - The best for saw blades (closely followed by Sandvik)

Laser/Bergen/Draper - reasonable quality at budget prices

Halfords Professional - widely acknowledged as being surprisngly good quality for the price. Lifetime warranty.

PeteHall

Agree with everything above, but can also highly recommend Kennedy (Cromwell Tools own brand). Not quite SnapOn quality, but a fraction of the price and I've never managed to break any, using and abusing for professional industrial use (y)

Spike

ZombieCake - how's that set turned out?

I like the idea of the revolvable head on the ratchet, and my last 1/4" ratchet is just about dead...

ZombieCake

Hi, picked it up last night.  Build quality is excellent, way better than the cheap ones I've had before.  The head locks at various angles so you can use it as a normal wrench, 15 degree angle up or down, and 90 degrees as a nut spinner or in-line screwdriver.  The bits are 50mm long in this set as opposed to the standard 25mm. Accessories are well finished (satin rather than shiny chrome) and nicely fitted in the case.  The socket sizes are actually embroidered in the case instead of being printed, which is a nice touch.  The case is quite compact as it all folds in and secured with velcro.  Can probably fit a few extra bits or sockets in loose if needed.  Comes with a seperate velcro sticky patch as well so you can attach the case to a surface to store.
Look up 'Wera Zyklop', it's the 'speed' version as that has the movable head, on YouTube for various reviews.
There's a non Red Bull version as well that's about ?10-ish cheaper, the product is the Zyklop (love that name!) Speed Ratchet 8100 SA  https://products.wera.de/en/zyklop_ratchets_and_accessories_the_zyklop_ratchets_the_zyklop_ratchets_1_4_the_zyklop_speed_ratchets_1_4_8100_sa_6.html
They do several different versions of the sets in various sizes, so have to check what they contain.
You won't be able to change a wheel with it, but I have a 24" breaker bar for that anyway.
Just waiting for more car parts to turn up so I can play some more.... 
As an aside the screwdriver sets I have are Kraftform Kompakt 40, and the Chiseldriver set with slotted and pozi drivers, the latter set is designed to be hit with hammers which is nice.  These seem fine so far, and somewhat nicer in my view than the B&Q Magnussen ones they're slowly replacing.
I'd order the main catalogue and other brochures given the amount of choice available as you get a very nicely produced 570 page book filled with ways to empty your wallet, only took a couple of days to arrive.

shotlighter

Wera stuff is brilliant if my experience is any thing to go by. I've used/abused a Wera driver/key set in my work tool kit, daily for more than 25 yrs.
It's still in excellent nick. Expensive but worth every penny.