Brewers Drift Quarry Info Request

D

Dep

Does anyone have any info on Brewers Drift Quarry near Box in Wiltshire.
Is the CSCC page info correct and is the site accessible and/or worth seeing?
Also: what about Ridge?

D

darkplaces

Brewers Yard or Brewers Drift inside Box? Both can be accessed.
Ridge, the farmer or someone pushed the stones infront of it. Some activity around it but until recently it was ok for medium build people to get inside.

Worth seeing?

Ridge is like a museum with so loads of stuff written on the walls.
Brewers Yard is awkward and tight to get into, opens out into a tall mine with two levels, small, a few artefacts infact P&G from WCC did a survey.
Brewers Drift - technically part of the military area but not used and closed from the proper military areas. Worth seeing yeah but more to see on the way getting to that point, the robots, cath etc etc.

Ask us c**tplaces lot we know our mines.

D

Dep

Thanks DP.

I have done Box many times, will be in there this Saturday.
looking for other trips on Sunday, Swan in the morning and Brewers for the PM as it's one I haven't visited so keen to do it.
Ridge I've done before - thought it was very impressive and would like to photograph more of the artwork.

D

Dep

Thanks DP.

I have done Box many times, will be in there this Saturday.
looking for other trips on Sunday, Swan in the morning and Brewers for the PM as it's one I haven't visited so keen to do it.
Ridge I've done before - thought it was very impressive and would like to photograph more of the artwork.

Hadn't realised the distinction between Brewer's Yard and Brewer's drift.
I mean the separate two-level quarry to the North of Rudloe.

D

Dep

Hi DP.
Did Brewer's Yard on Sunday - nice little site but a bit iffy in places, had a large piece of the entrance fall on me in the tight squeeze at the bottom of the dirt slope necessitating some careful 'gardening' as it had trapped my legs!
Fortunately for me the rock was cracked into several pieces which I could lift off separately - the combined weight of the solid rock would have been more than I could have moved from my awkward position. But all good fun.
The big shaft is interesting, I noted it was bolted from the upper level.
What's at the bottom, not another level?

clunk

I witnessed the bolting and the testing of the bolt's. Personally, i would use the hippo bags back from the edge. Nothing down the bottom as far as i know. Also on a personal note, I am unlikely ever to visit brewers yard again after the rubble in the entrance shifted while we were in there. The rubble at the bottom needs to be sorted out before it traps someone.

Jagman

c**tplaces said:
Ridge, the farmer or someone pushed the stones infront of it. Some activity around it but until recently it was ok for medium build people to get inside.

Oh goody ;) that would mean I am of medium build then Darkplaces ;)

clunk

clunk said:
I witnessed the bolting and the testing of the bolt's. Personally, i would use the hippo bags back from the edge. Nothing down the bottom as far as i know. Also on a personal note, I am unlikely ever to visit brewers yard again after the rubble in the entrance shifted while we were in there. The rubble at the bottom needs to be sorted out before it traps someone.
I lied. Went there two weeks ago