Scurion Battery. Help Please

The Old Ruminator

Here is a post from somebody who does not know an amp from an ohm. A complete moron when it comes to " lectric ".

I charged my old Scurion battery a few weeks back and fitted into the lamp. Nothing. Dead as a Dodo. Tried the plug several times. Nowt.

Thought hey ho. So bought a new one. ( Lamp and battery )

Same has happened again. The new battery would not work either new or old lamp or respond to the charger.( Green charging light not red ). I sent it back for checking.

Now the funny bit. Put the old battery into both lamps and it works fine now. All green lights on showing full charge. Can the batteries shut down for some reason ( wrong polarity ) then return to normal some time later ? Nothing too technical please.

royfellows

There has been posts on here and on aditnow regarding Li Ion batteries and low temperatures.

Recharging in garden sheds at this time of year is a no no.
Sorry if I am on the wrong track here, I personally dislike 'second guessing' and that is what i am doing here.

https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=22873.0

https://www.aditnow.co.uk/Community/viewtopic.aspx?p=185887#msg185887

Glad to see that you are using a decent lamp anyway.

The Old Ruminator

I now think that damp has something to do with it. There was a little bit of water in the new lamp battery case after which the battery would not work.
I took the shrink wrap off the old battery and left it in the garage.  After a while it worked again. I charge batteries in an attached warmish garage so never in the cold. Question now is how does damp affect ( temporarily ? ) Scurion batteries.

John S

I used to charge mine still in the case for years but I found that in winter, there was moisture in the case. I assume condensation driven out of the battery (warm when charging) condensing on the cold case. This eventually built up and led to the battery temporally failing.
I now always remove the battery to charge and dry the case if any moisture has got in (not very often do I find any).
Not had any problems with the battery failing since.
Is the electric circuit to protect the battery and balance the charge across the cells, designed to do this to stop us destroying the cells by mis-charging or discharging.

royfellows

John S said:
Is the electric circuit to protect the battery and balance the charge across the cells, designed to do this to stop us destroying the cells by mis-charging or discharging.

Protection against overcharge, over discharge, and short circuit. Balancing the cells is also a possibility depending on design. Over discharging would destroy the cells and would be possible without management electronics. Overcharging would not be possible with a dedicated Li Ion charger appropriate to the cell configuration, in other words, the one supplied with the lamp. But then again, the things that people do.

David Rose

I'm sure other people must have thought of this, but when I first got a Scurion I used to find it awkward getting the battery out of the helmet battery case. Now I use a loop of ribbon around the battery inside the case, so lifting it out without damaging anything is very simple. Especially handy on long camping trips. 

When I first got my lamp I used to load the battery with the connectors on top. That meant the wires had to run up the side of the battery and made it harder to remove. I now load the battery with the connector underneath so there are no wires to trap the battery in. It now slides out easily when I tip it up.