Irish Student Caving forum 2010

J

jockread

We are pleased to announce the 2010 Irish Student Caving Forum.

This year the event will be hosted by those lovely people at Queen University Belfast Caving club (QUBCC) over Easter weekend (April 2nd - 5th) in the tranquil setting of The Leitrim Lakes Youth Hostel in Kiltyclogher, Co. Leitrim.

The sleepy village of Kiltyclogher lies in the heart of caving country in the Irish North west, less than 10k from the caving Meccas of Belcoo/Blacklion in Fermanagh and Cavan and close to many of the less frequented caves of Leitrim and Sligo.

So how much will it cost? -

There is a recession on so we hope to keep the costs as low as possible

- 40 euro per person for the full weekend. (15 euro per night for those who can't stay the whole weekend)

So what do I get for my money?

- 3 nights' accommodation (Friday, Saturday and Sunday)
- Home cooked dinner on Saturday and Sunday
- T-shirt
- A busy weekend of fun and entertainment

So what's on the agenda?

Expect the usual Guinness fuelled antics including?
- Some excellent talks from Artur Kozlowski and Al Kennedy on their local cave diving exploits, and from others on Shannon extensions, world's deepest caves and more TBC
- Monster Raffle
- Disco
- Pub Quiz
- Squeeze competition and SRT race
- Novelty welly and welly wanging competitions
- The inaugural Irish Student Caving Lovely Girl competition
- A great weekend's caving in the classic caves of Fermanagh and Cavan
- A chance to hook up with local cavers and explore (i.e. attempt to find) some of the less visited caves of Sligo and Leitrim
- and much more TBC

What are the sleeping arrangements?

- Like we said there is a recession on and it?s a good value weekend however bed space is extremely limited in the hostel.
- We have use of an excellent large carpeted hall and a few smaller rooms. There is lots of floor space so pack your sleeping bags and roll mats.
- There is camping space out the back of the hostel (we ask ALL campers to keep quiet after 10pm as we are close to local residents)
- We can arrange a standing campsite for those travelling large distances (please contact us in advance if you want a tent waiting for your arrival)
- Plan to arrive any time after 4pm on Friday 2nd. Kicking out time will be noon on Monday 5th

What are the other facilities

- The hostel has no less than 4 kitchens and plenty of hot showers and toilets
- Outside area for drying gear
- 2 village pubs and a small shop (bear in mind limited opening hours over the Easter weekend)

Is there anything else?

No just get yourself to Leitrim! If nothing else come along for a lazy weekend of entertainment and enjoy the local hospitality. Take in the surrounding countryside and have fun caving and exploring this beautiful hidden corner of Ireland.

We hope to see as many student cavers (and hangers on) from as far and wide a possible. If your club has never made the trip across the Irish Sea this is a perfect excuse to do so.

The good people at QUBCC will be happy to help with your trip (we'll even pitch a tent for you if need be) so please contact us if you need more details.

We'd like to get an idea on numbers as early as possible so if you plan on joining us for one of the highlights of the Irish caving calendar please email QUBCC@yahoogroups.com to book your college and confirm how many plan to attend.

We'd also like to thank Queens University Belfast, The Speleological Union of Ireland and other sponsers to be announced for their support with the weekend

See you in Leitrim -

QUBCC

http://caving.club.qub.ac.uk/trips/scf2010/
http://www.caving.ie/

B

brigidhouli

ooh come on April.. cant wait for this! hope my tea making skills stand to me in the lovely girls competition!

A

adventure_barbie

I can bake cakes I wonder is that any use?  :-\ Thank god its lovely girl as opposed to lady. I wouldnt have a hope  :cry:

J

jockread

Hi folks

Just to let everyone know that  starless river will be over during the forum and have kindly offered to set up shop if there is enough interest. Some of you might remember the great set up with the shop at SUIRCO in November?

If you have fresher's in need or knee pads, fury's or your thinking of splashing out on personal or club gear check out http://www.starless river.com/ shop/

They will do a 5% discount on all orders received by March 25th... just mail them direct at

info@starlessriver. com

and make an order...Tony will bring the goods and you can pay on collection at the weekend. Easy as anything.

Expedition orders will expect a bigger discount, just contact starless river direct; they do good deals on bolts and ropes and rigging kit!

I'm assuming the same applies to any large bulk club orders - just get in contact with Tony to confirm your purchase

He might even do a lovely girl discount ;)

We also hope to have lots of copies of the excellent  2009 Irish Speleology for sale during the weekend

See you in Leitrim - http://caving. club.qub. ac.uk/trips/ scf2010/

jock

J

jockread

Irish SCF update

T-shirts are printed, agenda, speakers, DJs and lovely girls are confirmed so fingers crossed everything is shaping up well. 

If my inbox is anything to go by it looks like we are going to be in for a very busy weekend.  Cavers and clubs are coming from far and wide to join in the craic. 

All the beds are now taken.  We have tons of floor space and plenty of room for people to kip in the main hall or smaller rooms off the hostel.  However if you'd prefer a quiet life and don't mind camping I'd advise to throw a tent in the car.  Don?t forget to bring your airbed, roll mats, sleeping bags, ear plugs and whatever!!

We'll pitch one large overflow standing frame tent out the back just in case it gets too crowded.

Unless your coming from Sligo direction the best way to get to the hostel is from Belcoo.  Take the Garrison Road  immediately beside the police station in Belcoo.  About 3 miles outside of Garrison there will be sign posts for one or two possible left turns to Kilty.  The hostel is a converted old school and the biggest building in the village at the bottom of the hill.  You cant really miss it (15-20 minutes drive from Belcoo)

On arrival please be considerate of the local residents and don't block any driveways or byways.  There is limited parking out the back of the hostel and plenty of parking in or around the village.  If you arrive late keep the noise down outside the hostel.

Don?t forget about StarlessRiver caving shop if you want to pre-order or purchase any caving gear over the weekend - http://www.starlessriver.com/shop/

See you in Leitrim

Cheers

jock

N

nick

Cheers to Jock and all the other organisers for a fantastic weekend. I really enjoyed myself and had an amazing first experience of Irish caving and cavers. Hope to make it back next year!

"Nikki"