CNCC - Introduction to Paperless surveying

Finch

Hello Everyone!

There will be a  3 day Introduction to Paperless Surveying course taking place How Stean Gorge early in 2018. This three day BCRA Cave Surveying Group course (spread across three months) will teach complete beginners about paperless surveying up to a standard where they can produce a straightforward paperless survey and be able to output a pdf map of a cave along with survex files and files to view using Google Earth.

After completing the full course, participants could expect to have enough knowledge and skills to be able to attend one of the more advanced courses planned by the Cave Surveying Group.

This course will involve training on using equipment underground in a nearby cave, but will be predominantly classroom based.

The cost is just ?10 a head. Sign-up online (further details available there too) to reserve your place!

Maz (CNCC Training Officer)

nobrotson

who is running the course? Just Chris and Nick? Have you asked George (Breley) if he wants to help, he has been getting pretty into it recently...

2xw

I've never written a cheque (never had a chequebook either) do I need to go into my bank and ask them to send it straight to the CNCC address?

Ian Ball

Makes me think of Mr A.P.Haddock versus the tax office.

send your promise to pay a certain person non adjustable from which account,  how much in words and number and on what date to the address stated and job done.

Finch

A few people have said they don't have a cheque book. I didn't realise they were so rare these days!

Sign up for now and drop me an email (training[at]cncc.org.uk) letting me know that this is an issue for you. When we have a workaround, I will let you know.

@Rob Yes, it's Chris and Nick. If George is interested in helping, I'd suggest he get in touch with them! :)

Finch

There are only five spaces still available for this course, so if you are interested, please sign up soon to avoid disappointment!

If you don't have access to a cheque book, we can take the deposits by bank transfer, just let me know you want to do this instead.

Maz
CNCC Training Officer

Goydenman

This week, for this course, we are making a survey of a short cave that will be used for practice in module 1

Goydenman

We (Swallowneck and Goydenman) are pleased about the feedback from those attending the Introduction to Paperless Surveying Course. It went very well and clear by the TOPO date collected in the afternoon from the practice cave that everyone had a good grasp of the basics covered in module 1. Thanks to everyone for making module 1 go so well.

Dave Tyson

Thank you Chris, for taking the trouble to organise it. Really enjoyed it and (more importantly) learnt a lot of new stuff which built on my existing knowledge to a point where I feel more confident to 'have a go' elsewhere. Looking forward to module 2/3.

The dig was good - excellent progress - happy to help in the future!  (y)

Cheers,
Dave

Goydenman

Dave Tyson said:
Thank you Chris, for taking the trouble to organise it. Really enjoyed it and (more importantly) learnt a lot of new stuff which built on my existing knowledge to a point where I feel more confident to 'have a go' elsewhere. Looking forward to module 2/3.

The dig was good - excellent progress - happy to help in the future!  (y)

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks for the positive feedback. Swallowneck (Nick) was the main person who organised the course - I helped out. Thank you so much for helping out with the digging. Having 7 people was why we had excellent progress  (y)

alastairgott

Very Happy, it's very much work in progress, but I've managed to output both Extended elevation and Plan on one sheet. They're all over each other though, so some more formatting needed, but I can do that some other time.

And definitely need to get the layout options right again to get rid of the centreline, I was ignoring layout local, so they popped out again :(

I got Extremely stuck on getting the extended Elevation to do anything, Kept getting "Incompatible scrap projection" for TTMainSE2 eventually realised that in the "map editor" view the drop down in the scrap had plan as it's option!
(I ended up just trying to bodge it as best as I could, so it's not the finished extended elevation by any means, back on it soon)

oh well lesson learnt! perhaps that's why it kept entering text editor for the th2 file...

Attachments

• TTMain.pdf
    86.8 KB · Views: 111

Alex

Now I have a phone to do this on, though I still need to buy a disto x I am quite interested in attending the next one, should there be a next one.

alastairgott

By the sounds of it Goydenman and Swallowneck have a lot to survey of the Nidderdale system, you're about enough for them to run through the Basic Disto-Data collection things with you. And perhaps help them out.

Though they will teach you Pocket topo with one of their PDA's. I'm sure the data collection is pretty much the same in any of the suites of Software, effectively it gives survey points and a drawing (with which to "trace" over).

The data processing in Therion is really a separate section, but knowing you, I think this could be picked up reasonably quickly.

The key being getting the data collection right so you can be a nerd later.

Goydenman

well done you are making good progress Alastair and good to see you are problem solving already to sort things out.

Alex yes we plan to run another one sometime.....at present we are using Distox and PDA until further development are made with Sexy Topo.