Aygill

darklord

Just so you know.....

A midweek trip into Aygill revealed the absence of the fixed rope on the first pitch, often known as the Traverse Pitch. The fixed rope allowed you to 'traverse' the pitch with just cowstails to protect a step across onto a ledge and boulder, from where there was an easy climb down to the floor. Don't know who took this out or why..? 

Further in, below the main pitch, the stream is met and tumbles down the scenic Cascades - very easy in this weather, but absolutely awesome and impassable in flood. A high level traverse and drop back to the stream was engineered and rigged a few years ago - the bottom section of rope got a bit frayed from flood waters, but you'd still have got out, the sections above the first bolt being well out of the water.  All the rope on this lifesaver has also been removed, again don't know why or by whom..?

We will re-rig both the traverse pitch and Cascades flood route as soon as possible. The fixed aids were regularly used by people working on survey and digging projects in the cave.

nobrotson

a great and somewhat neglected cave. thanks to RRCPC for maintaining the fixed aids in the cave, facilitates easier progress.

IanWalker

Hi Dark lord,

The lower rope was not usable as you describe as it had parted and would require a 5m jump from traverse to rebelay. So Toby Speight and I removed it as unmaintained tat. Reasoned the 1992 RRCPC traverse rope also not in use and removed on same trip.

Later I went back and added stainless bolts and hangers to lower bypass for future use. And took rope measurements for CNCC guide. phil Withnall accompanied.

Holiday now but pm and I will respond

IanWalker

marysboy said:
added stainless bolts and hangers to lower bypass for future use
Correction and clarification- We did not use bolts because the anchors are 8mm expansion stud type (3no). We swapped out the corroded alloy hangers for new stainless hanger plates using the existing nuts and washers.

darklord

Hi marysboy,

Thanks for the update - I agree the rope on the Cascades bypass probably needed replacing. Strangely, when I went down a few months ago the middle section was missing; the top (horizontal) section and the tattered bottom pice of rope were in place.  I guess you've cleaned out all of them now.

I have access to some brand new Spanset rope so can provide/install rope and maillons - do you want to do this together sometime?  PM me if you want to fix a date.

Have already re-installed a rope on the traverse pitch - just for traversing across, it doesn't reach the bottom. Anyone wanting to SRT this pitch should use the in-situ P-hangers and take their own rope (12m should do).