Great Masson

Gritstone

Hi all. I'm heading up to Masson for the first time tomorrow. Is the back shaft into the mine from the quarry an easy free climb like the shafts in Jugholes or is a rope advisable? I'm a pretty good climber so if it's free climb able I'd rather travel light. Also how deep is the shaft and how wide? Thanks in advance for any advice.

AR

There are a number of shafts round the back end of Masson but I presume you're referring to the main route in? Easily free-climbable but does have an anchor to rig an handline and 15-20ft deep, though there's also the crawly route in from the side entrance which can either go down the small internal shaft with the gym rope or the free climb into the coffin level.

Gritstone

Brilliant, thanks for that. I'm looking to get into the coffin levels and the flooded stopes tomorrow so hopefully I will be able to get there from any of the entrances?

Fishes

If you cross the shaft with the gym rope and follow the crawl for some distance you will come to another climb that can be free climbed with care and this brings you down at the end of the other coffin level.

The gym rope has been there for around 20 years so it probably needs to be treated with some caution.

Gritstone

Thank you. I'll check out all the options in the morning then take it from there. Thanks for the advice guy's

Brains

Fishes said:
If you cross the shaft with the gym rope and follow the crawl for some distance you will come to another climb that can be free climbed with care and this brings you down at the end of the other coffin level.

The gym rope has been there for around 20 years so it probably needs to be treated with some caution.
Have a look at how the gym rope is connected to the belay. I am sure it's fine, but just looks a little skimpy!