Mendip blow-holes

Andy Sparrow

This was Velvet Bottom today....

velvetbottomLR.JPG

....with an incredible deposit of hoar frost on every surface, except...

timberholeLR.JPG

Timber Hole...  where even the metal lid was ice free.

Perhaps it would be a good place to dig...

If only I could get a key...  :-\

(sorry, Mick)

mikem

Last Friday morning the warm damp air from Lionel's was condensing nicely into a cloud rising from the entrance.

Mike

mrodoc

Any Cerberus members looking at this thread. If I remember this was a Cerberus dig years ago.

graham

whitelackington said:
How is is coming along, must be almost connected with The G.B. / Charterhouse System?

Current gap between them is 745 m. That information is easily available on the web, if you look.

Aubrey

Andy wrote:
"Timber Hole...  where even the metal lid was ice free.

Perhaps it would be a good place to dig... "

I am not sure you are correct.

Under the lid is quite a large volume of air in the dig much of which will be at the normal underground cave temperature (54F).
When snow falls on the metal lid the warmer air underneath will keep the lid warm  enough to melt the snow. There will be a natural circulation of the now cooled air falling away from the metal lid and being replaced by rising warmer air. There MAY be a natural draught but I do not think one is necessary to keep the lid clear of a small amount of snow.

I visited Timber Hole on a digging trip a couple of years ago I was not excited by the potential, despite all of the work which has been done so far.

Andy Sparrow

Aubrey said:
Andy wrote:

Under the lid is quite a large volume of air in the dig much of which will be at the normal underground cave temperature (54F).
When snow falls on the metal lid the warmer air underneath will keep the lid warm  enough to melt the snow. There will be a natural circulation of the now cooled air falling away from the metal lid and being replaced by rising warmer air. There MAY be a natural draught but I do not think one is necessary to keep the lid clear of a small amount of snow.

I visited Timber Hole on a digging trip a couple of years ago I was not excited by the potential, despite all of the work which has been done so far.

Comparing the modest surface warming of Timber Hole to the clouds of steam billowing from Rod's and Lionel's I suspect you are right about this. 

whitelackington

Andy Sparrow said:
Aubrey said:
Andy wrote:

Comparing the modest surface warming of Timber Hole to the clouds of steam billowing from Rod's and Lionel's I suspect you are right about this.

Quote Bucket October 22nd 2010
"We recently used a pile of burning joss sticks in East Twin and got an obvious niff in Lionel's within an hour.
  Once we got to the right bit of the cave, the odour was clear as a bell."

So potentially
Lionel's / East Twin / Spar Pot are another Burrington System
waiting to be unearthed.

Les W

whitelackington said:
So potentially
waiting to be unearthed.

It's all one system in Burrington Mick. All the caves share common resurgences so they are ALL the same system.  :tease:

graham

Les W said:
whitelackington said:
So potentially
waiting to be unearthed.

It's all one system in Burrington Mick. All the caves share common resurgences so they are ALL the same system.  :tease:

So perhaps Andy should have said

Comparing the modest surface warming of Timber Hole to the clouds of steam billowing from Rod's/Lionel's I suspect you are right about this. 

8)

whitelackington

Andy Sparrow said:
This was Velvet Bottom today....

velvetbottomLR.JPG

....with an incredible deposit of hoar frost on every surface, except...

timberholeLR.JPG

Timber Hole...  where even the metal lid was ice free.

Perhaps it would be a good place to dig...

If only I could get a key...  :-\

(sorry, Mick)

Apparently there should be plenty more chances for blow-Hole spotting
before this winter ends.  We still need to re-find Tony Knibbs' Charnel Shaft
back door entrance into Upper Flood Swallet.
This winter may turn into another 1962-1963 style event yet.

So Andy, is there really a through draft between Loinel's and East Twin?  :-\