Milwr Tunnel

andys

Can anyone give me an update on the situation re the Milwr tunnel - specifically access via Olwyn Goch?

braveduck

Funny you should ask that.I have been asking the local experts the same question.
I wonder if you have picked up the same bit of news I have stumbled across?

andys

Sorry - I'm well out of the loop so I've no info at all. The reason I asked was because I know access was stopped some years back and I was wondering what - if anything - had happened since. And its of interest since we'll be in the area later this year.

As a secondary question, what else is there to do in the area - either where access is unrestricted or where a permit could be sought?

braveduck

The Olwyn Goch shaft is still not in use for the time being.
Suggest you contact the UCET the United Cavers Exploration Team,they seem to be the most active people in N. Wales at the moment.They should be able to suggest something suitable.

Dave Tyson

PM sent.  As for other trips in the area, well there's Poachers, Xmas and Hesp Alyn. The latter may be a bit damp at present...

Dave

Les W

Dave Tyson said:
PM sent.  As for other trips in the area, well there's Poachers, Xmas and Hesp Alyn. The latter may be a bit damp at present...

Dave

There's lots to do. UCET are a good start.
If you like slate then Moel Fferna is well worth a visit and very photogenic. Just outside Llangollen so not too far.
With a bit of forward planning you can get access to Llyn Ddu, Ogof Dyd Byraff and even Llyn Park/Pool Park (but it needs organising with NWCC for a winch).

Look on UCET's website where there is a knowledge bank, it may give you some ideas.

timwatts

State of play at the moment regarding the Milwr.

1) No formal access has been granted to any access group/club to the tunnel and its doubtful that any ever will.

2) There are are quite a number of options to get in there, some easier than others.

Tim