• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Roth Cylinders

MDS

Have been offered 2x10 L Roth cylinders for twinning in ex condition at a very acceptable price

This make is an unknown entity to myself and am looking for any info/opinions/technical lowdown on them

I believe they used to be manufactured by Tortec and are produced in France now

I've had a look around their website Roth Cylinders but have learn't no more as I don't speak French

Any one have any views: are they worth procuring or should I pass on them?

http://www.roth-cylinders-hp.com/

TIA - Matt S

M

MSD

Basically a cylinder is a cylinder. Differences between manufactuers are not that large. What I would check is:

a) What the weight of the cylinders are, compaed to other 10l cylinder available. If they are particularly heavy or light that might be a problem.

b) That they have decent pillar valves.

c) That they have M25 threads, so that if you need to change a pillar vave it's easy and cheap to get a replacement.

d) That they are in test.

I don't like 10l cylinders much. Not the best balance. Why do you want them?

Mark

MDS

My main concern is the grade of the steel and wether they are likely to rust excessively internally, they'll be used for Nitrox mostly if I decide to go for them. as you'll be aware extra 02 helps rust along

the cylinders will give me an extra 4k approx so I'll be able to lose some lead, but the extra weight may be a PITA when kitting up

they'll fit M25's, I have a spare MDE manifold that can go on them, and they'll be 02 clean and in test

My usual LDS says they are OK but if they bought them they would just re-sell them at a higher price (suggests to me they wouldn't wish to use them personally)

Why do I want 10's? - excellent size for nitrox diving within 30m depth plus I'm short

the steel grade and weight would be the factors I would probably decide wether to buy on or not + the seller only wants ?90 for the two so they may be worth a go