Armchair Caving

bograt

Only just getting familiarised with this new blogging thing, I realise that there are a lot young spelio's that remind me of me 40 years ago, there seems to be a good few who remember me as well, showing that not all my mates are gone.
Mortality takes a heavy toll on experience so those of us that survive are duty bound to offer what we have to pass it on to all the young bloods, to save them effort and for the progression of British Caving.
I propose this thread as a place where young and able goforits can ask us codgers what we know about what they want to know about, also a place for reminiscences and re-kindling of old contacts.
If it gets too heavy, we might have to go regional!.
Bograt, Derbyshire.
R.I.P. in no particular order; Mr. P.B. Smith, George Cooper, Dave Edwards, Buster Wright, Tony Jarrat (J.Rat), Tony Devoto, Ray Fairholme, Hugh (Doc) Kidd, Mick (Fish) Jeanmaire, Pete (Groins) Harrison and too many others, all with experiences that are lost forever.(except J. Rat whose superb caving logs are now on-line)

JAM

Ok.. Cool. 

Does anyone know anything about the Eagle Mine, Monyash. More to the point does anyone remember it ever being accessible? 

Cheers.  Rich.

bograt

Seem to recall some evil, rotting timber stemples holding up hanging death, not sure whether it was Eagle, will try to revive some more brain cells and get back on that one.

JAM

Nah, that's next door in cascade.  Below that would make an interesting dig.  :)

JAM

braveduck said:
Yes I went down Eagle mine at Monyash a long time ago when it was open.

Can you remember ever seeing a stream way ??  I ask because I have heard what sounds like a reasonable flow when down Cascade, directly under the stacked deads that Bograt mentioned in an earlier post (at floor level, I must add) .. I'm guessing that this flow is heading into Eagle Mine (AKA Rumble Hole) and then maybe on toward Fern Dale's Engine and Freezland before exiting at Lathkill resurgence???  Would be nice to attempt to get down to the water.. I know several folk have given it a shot over the years, judging by the amount of diggers debris in there.  :)

bograt

Jam said:
Ok.. Cool. 

Does anyone know anything about the Eagle Mine, Monyash. More to the point does anyone remember it ever being accessible? 

Cheers.  Rich.
C.O.D. 1964 has Cascade, Eagle and Rumbling all listed as the same hole, reference S. Gee, The Lyre, Vol.1, No.2, 1957. Should be in the Orpheus library.

JAM

Need a key to access out cabinets...  don't have one.  :( :D
I'll have to sort that out...  yeah, I head that the COD listed them as the same. So, did they once link to each other?  Or did some one make an error that wasn't found before going to print.
Thanks for the reference Bograt, I'll see what I can find. 

matthewjc

From COD 1964 (I have a copy)

'Cascade Cavern Formally known as Eagle Mine and locally called Rumbling Hole'

It even goes on to say 'The cavern is said to have once connected with Knotlow Caverns'

Now that would be a dig..!!

Matt

Armchair

Well, it's very gratifying to hear that one of the more serious branches of our pastime, demanding great skill and experience in the toasting of raw teacakes, etc. (or trt as we used to call it), is finally getting the recognition it deserves. Having sat around doing nothing much else for - my goodness, is it fifty years already? - I can confirm that this is a hard game and one not to be trifled with by the faint-hearted. Inertia lurks around every bend to be sure, but it can be very rewarding to put one's feet up over an old carbide or two of an evening - and saves a fortune on unfeasibly expensive personal kit or the trouble of going down shit-holes like Eagle Mine/Cascade Cavern. Actually, well worth a look, but a lot of digging required.

bograt

Having pontificated for some time on another thread, a thought suddenly occured to me; The latest developments at Beelow Quarry must be approaching the the end of Phase 1 (see http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/applications/ESplanningapps/Planning-Applications/cm1-0202-153/1.306.19/Reg%2019/Regulation%2019%20-%20Revised%20Development%20Scheme%20July%202006.pdf )

This means they are moving in to the North end of the Quarry, this is where most of the Karst features are in that area, does anyone know anyone who works there so we can keep an eye on anything they expose and maybe do something about it before Phase 2 (backfilling) goes ahead?

Pitlamp

Jam - I don't know if this helps but somewhere (and this would take a great deal of finding) I have a survey of Cascade Cavern, either A4 or A3 sized. I acquired it probably late 70s. Can't remember how it came to me (possibly it was on Phil Brown's list of available surveys many years ago and I may have bought a copy as a youngster).

If you can't find one in your own club library PM me and if you think it would be worth my turning the house upside down I can try and find it for you. I think I know who you are and, if I'm right, I used to be a member of your club.