• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Keeping Surveys Dry

thehungrytroglobite

How does everyone keep their surveys / descriptions dry?

I have tried a variety of methods and all have failed. I was in a cave the other day and I went to check the survey but when I picked it up it just disintegrated (we'd been crawling in water as usual). Luckily I remembered the way back anyway but, with some longer trips planned this week, it's a bit more important to keep the survey/description intact.

Any tips on how to do this?

Anna  :D

pwhole

A laminator? Granted most in shops are usually only A4, but if the survey is large you can break it up into sections and laminate each one, and then they'll still fit in a bag easily. If you get the heavy-duty pouches (2 X 125 micron) you can even eat your lunch off them. I use one of these - about ?70 but they last for years if looked after. But make sure the paper is well inside the edges (trim if necessary) to ensure it's properly encapsulated or it'll leak:

https://www.gbceurope.com/en-gb/products/gbc-fusion-3000l-a4-laminator_4400748/

PaulW

A4 waterproof paper, like tyvek race numbers, works perfectly with laser printing, they can take alot of abuse, think i paid ?40 for 250 shetts a few years ago

Pitlamp

In the past I've successfully used a spray waterproofer to impregnate the paper cones in loudspeakers dangling in sump pools (to play music from the surface and make long decompression stops more bearable). Last time I did this I used a product called "Mapdri"; no idea if this is still available.

The spray is intended to be applied to maps and was intermittently available in outdoor shops; I never tried it on paper cave surveys but I've no reason to think it'd not work. Might be worth a Google?

pwhole

Never mind about the surveys, tell me more about the sump hi-fi! What?! Did you ever record it underwater? And what did you play?

Actually, maybe not - let's keep on topic. Start another thread! ;)

Pitlamp

Remind me to tell you about it, next time paths cross. It wasn't 100% successful as the music never sounded quite right underwater but (back on topic) the speakers would last a few dives when sprayed with that product. (The speakers were scrounged out of old tellies etc, so were regarded as sacrificial. The only expense was the can of Mapdri.)

benshannon

https://www.ortlieb.com/uk/document-bag+D03

This bad boy. Its done me 2 years solid now and gets abused underground. Still perfectly water tight

Brains

I have found using sticky back plastic quite effective - cover both sides - makes a good soft coat where laminate is stiff and brittle. Creases will wear but good enough for a few trips in quite horrid conditions. Chance to practice those child hood Blue Peter skills and school book covering techniques  ;)

mrodoc

Pitlamps sump entertainment system reminds me of Rob Palmer's set up. I remember decompressing in a blue hole listening to Runrig played through a bone induction speaker on a wire from a tape player on the surface. Worked quite well.

tdobson

thehungrytroglobite said:
How does everyone keep their surveys / descriptions dry?

On the cheap: freezer bags. Fails after a while so bring 2, or 3.

For ?20 - a laminator off Amazon. I keep meaning to buy one.

benshannon

It's quite funny reading all of these suggestions. Cavers tend to not want to spend money, (well, the Yorkshire ones at least) but seriously, ?12 ortlieb document case as I said above. Much cheaper in the long run and zero faf.

JasonC

Waterproof paper is definitely the way to go, IMO.
Lamination works fine, but it starts leaking if you fold it, and if you don't, it's an uncomfortable sharp-edged thing to tuck into your undersuit.

https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/toughprint-waterproof-paper-for-inkjet-a4/
https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/toughprint-a4-waterproof-paper-for-laser-printers/

?17 for 25 sheets - sounds a lot, but will last a while unless you print a LOT of surveys.  Can print on both sides, and it is genuinely washable, so can be re-used even if covered in shite from the first use.

Huge

A4 printout of survey inside a polypocket sealed with cellotape.

Cheap and flexible - fold up and put in oversuit pocket. Works great.

ogofmole

A4 printout of survey inside a polypocket sealed with cellotape.

Cheap and flexible - fold up and put in oversuit pocket. Works great.

That is what I do. If they stay dry it can be used again, otherwise bin it.

tdobson

benshannon said:
It's quite funny reading all of these suggestions. Cavers tend to not want to spend money, (well, the Yorkshire ones at least) but seriously, ?12 ortlieb document case as I said above. Much cheaper in the long run and zero faf.

Keen to have a demo of this sometime Ben!