Rampgill Vein , Nenthead Video

Paul Marvin

Just finished this guys before we go to Wales tomorrow

Enjoy

Nenthead is a brilliant site  (y)

https://youtu.be/wBifCMZfc7g

PeteHall

It's a while since I've been in Rampgill, am I right in thinking there is a RF dig towards the end through an oil drum that had been cut down its length to reduce the diameter a bit? Or was that somewhere else in Nent?

Last time I went through it, the rivets had mostly failed and it was rather conical, so I could get in ok, but coming back was bloody hard work getting into the narrow end...  :LOL:

legendrider

PeteHall said:
AR said:
Is that the fabled NORPEX door propped at the side there?
Indeed it is...
Its the 2nd Norpex Door.

https://www.aditnow.co.uk/Photo/Norpex-Door-2-Under-Construction_28750/

The first is also shown in the video, lying on its back (still smouldering) next to the sign saying No Admittance.

MARK

christwigg

PeteHall said:
It's a while since I've been in Rampgill, am I right in thinking there is a RF dig towards the end through an oil drum that had been cut down its length to reduce the diameter a bit? Or was that somewhere else in Nent?

Last time I went through it, the rivets had mostly failed and it was rather conical, so I could get in ok, but coming back was bloody hard work getting into the narrow end...  :LOL:

I think you're thinking about the drum just after the horse gin on the Scaleburn Vein.

PeteHall

christwigg said:
PeteHall said:

I think you're thinking about the drum just after the horse gin on the Scaleburn Vein.

Of course. Like I said, been a few years!

legendrider

Chris T is correct, although the inner drum finally let go about 3 years ago and it is now squished too tight even for us skinny minnies.  I believe it was dug by Robert and John Lawson, Richard Bunting and Roy Fellows around 1992. 

MARK

royfellows

Yes thats correct.
I was invited into the project just after the discovery of the horse gin.

I did do a solo dig on one fall, that is the one completely cleared but I think that something was put in eventually for safety to prevent stuff coming down on explorers. All the others are mainly done by the Lawsons.

The awkward drum was put in cut as it would not go in as a whole, it was not a good job and always presented difficulties.

Original entry was from above by a dug out shaft. Current entry is courtesy of Paul Thorne who cleared the collapse in the level.

Cantclimbtom

Thoroughly enjoyed the video.

But it does seem inappropriate content for YouTube though. Most likely content will get removed once the content bots filter it or the channel demonetised. There's not a single baseball cap in it.

PeteHall

royfellows said:
Original entry was from above by a dug out shaft. Current entry is courtesy of Paul Thorne who cleared the collapse in the level.
A definite improvement compared to the original secret discreet route!

Fishes

PeteHall said:
A definite improvement compared to the original secret discreet route!

I remember going through the original route with Robert Bunting. It was built by people with short legs which made it a complete pain for me to climb out of.