• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Old Wife Pothole, Great Whernside

Dave254

Does anyone have any knowledge of ?old wife pothole? on Great Whernside? I came across it whilst looking at an OS map.  It is just over 1km north west from the entrance to Mossdale next to the track leading up from Conistone
. I can?t seem to find it in Northern caves and a google trawl hasn?t brought anything back.

andys

Comparing the map and the aerial photos, I take it you mean the big depression just west of Swarthgill Hole?

Dave254

That?s the right area. On the conistone side of the track crosses Swarthgill there is a shake hole full of water just to the north of the track  that I am taking to be ?old wife?s pot well?.  Old wife?s pot would appear to be a separate entity around about SE 01032, 70375

Alex

Is this that pot that takes some of the Mossdale stream in flood, up stream or somewhere else?

langcliffe

Alex said:
Is this that pot that takes some of the Mossdale stream in flood, up stream or somewhere else?

Somewhere else - about 1 km ENE of Capplestone Gate. Personally, I've never been able to identify it when I have looked.