Yorkshire caving areas

andrewmcleod

Slightly unusual question...

I have just bought an expanding file with 12 pockets to hold Yorkshire cave laminated surveys and descriptions (all A4).

How should I divide Dales caving into 12 (or slightly fewer) areas? I was thinking Easegill, Leck Fell (plus possibly Masongill?), Kingsdale (West and East?), Chapel le Dale, Gaping Gill, Selside, Pen y Ghent, Fountains Fell... But there are other areas I know less about(where is Sleets Gill for example as a caving area?)

Answers on a (digital) postcard :)

Ed

If it's Yorkshire caving.......you can ditch Leck Fell, then add Nidderdale, North York Moors, Flamborough plus the southern Magnesium limestone onesand

:tease:

oldboy

Ed said:
If it's Yorkshire caving.......you can ditch Leck Fell, then add Nidderdale, North York Moors, Flamborough plus the southern Magnesium limestone onesand

:tease:
[/quote
Leck Fell Lancashire) and the  Easegill system (Cumbria) is now part of the Yorkshire Dales National Park of course.

Sleets Gill is in Littondale. Don?t forget Wharfedale (or the Northern Dales).

Is there a timeline for the rest of the new Northern Caves guidebook series? My train journeys are leaking the armchair caving proof-reading experience at present.

alastairgott

I think you could divide it up into 8 sections.
Caves discovered in 40?s and before, caves discovered in 50?s, ....

Total logical and useful way of accessing the data you need.

mikem

Or, there are 370 on the cncc map, so group them into about 30 for each pocket (although that does include some Scottish sites)...

GarDouth

Administrator
It depends how many you have I guess. If you want to store everything from Northern Caves you will need a bigger storage system as their are like 2000+  ::)

If it helps, there are currently 72 topos and 50 descriptions on the CNCC site. You may have more from elsewhere of course.