Possible spam / malware alert?

Pitlamp

At 00:04 an email was sent to me from " WessexCaveClub@myclubhouse.co.uk " entitled "New Membership Website for Wessex Cave Club". It invites me to visit the new website by clicking a link. It says "As a current member of the club we have created a member account for you."

Although I was a member for several years, I let my membership of this excellent club lapse a long time ago (with considerable regret, due to not being able to get to Mendip often enough because of so many projects occupying my time in the Dales & Peak District).

Thought it was worth mentioning on here, in case others have received this message. I don't know if it's genuine or not. Can anyone advise?

mikem

Seems to be a legit company that it's come from, so just the question of whether it's actually from the Wessex...

Pitlamp

Thanks.

The email does give a name of the "Secretary" which I recognise. But this could be because his system has picked up a virus, in which case I ought to alert him. (This person and I have sent each other emails in the past.)

Before I do, please could someone confirm for me who is the present WCC Secretary?

menacer

Its ok, all members got one last night, it was discussed on the Wessex forum also.
The mailing list is a little bit out date though pitlamp, if you received one too  ;)

PeteHall

Membership Secretary is PaulW on here.

Hopefully, following his efforts, the membership database will soon be a lot more up to date  (y)

Pitlamp

Ta - that confirms what I thought.

I'll email him directly and confirm I'm no longer a member (sadly).

JoshW

PaulW is aware of the issue. his response being 'f***, cheers'. He's on it, and sure he will message on here at some point!

I can confirm that Paul is aware of the problem. Unfortunately the second email re password link went out before the first one with username in it BUT more worrying is they went to ALL entries on the database instead of just current members. (In case anyone wonders why ex members are there it is because there is a less stringent set of requirements to rejoin).

JoshW

JohnMCooper said:
I can confirm that Paul is aware of the problem. Unfortunately the second email re password link went out before the first one with username in it BUT more worrying is they went to ALL entries on the database instead of just current members. (In case anyone wonders why ex members are there it is because there is a less stringent set of requirements to rejoin).

I'm sure it's just a teething issue, sounds like it's a step in the right direction, just with a quick side step before getting there.

PaulW

Yes I can confirm it is a genuine email from WCC. I initiated the site launch for a new membership site last night, it appears that function sends out to some precious members aswell

I will contact all those t :hug:hat have recieved an email in the next 24hrs