Wanted - Viper Light charger

Rhys

Hello. Following a recent shed break-in and theft, my wife now has a Viper Light but no charger for it! Does anyone have a spare or surplus to requirements charger for a Viper knocking around?

Happy to pay postage or arrange caver-post to Forest of Dean/South Wales.

Thanks
Rhys

Rhys

Hello again

Just pushing this request out again. Does anyone happen to have a spare Viper charger knocking around?

Thanks
Rhys

Mr Mike

If you can get the voltage of the existing Viper battery packs and a connector to mate with them, then a standard 3.7 or 7.2V Li- Ion charger could be wired up with connecter to do the job.

shortscotsman

.unfortunately the charger is a 24v charger for a 16.8v battery pack and has a fairly unusual 6 pin connector

rhys: I presume you have tried emailing "custom idea" to see it they still have any?

(oops although the website still exists I don't think they are trading anymore)

Rhys

Hi

Thanks both. I e-mailed a couple of days ago for advice and to see if they have any. They claim to still answer queries for existing customers but no longer sell the lamp. No answer, as yet. I thought I might end up having to cobble something together myself, but would prefer to get a ready built one! The connector is "unusual" so I'd have to take it all apart and try to work out what's going on - electronics is not my strength...

Rhys

Mr Mike

shortscotsman said:
.unfortunately the charger is a 24v charger for a 16.8v battery pack and has a fairly unusual 6 pin connector

16.8V does not sound right at all, its an very odd choice for a battery pack are you sure about it? The manual offers no indication of battery specs. The connector can be sourced easily enough. It's just an industrial circular one made by Hirose - HR30 Series.

Roger W

Google 16.8 volt battery and you get a lot of stuff for Ni-Cd and Ni-MH batteries for Craftsman power tools.  Is the Viper battery something similar?

Mr Mike

It's not going to be simple... I've seen that the battery has the driver electronics for the lamp part as well so there might be a lot more going on than just simple charging even if it was 3.7 / 7.2V. Hopefully someone from the defunct Viper Lights will get back to you, have you also tried contacting http://www.customidea.com/index.php as it was a spin off from their Tiger MT lights.

shortscotsman

Mr Mike said:
shortscotsman said:

16.8V does not sound right at all, its an very odd choice for a battery pack are you sure about it? The manual offers no indication of battery specs. The connector can be sourced easily enough. It's just an industrial circular one made by Hirose - HR30 Series.

...I'm just reading the 16.8 V off the charger (I have one but I need it...).  It says 16.8V Li Ion

Mr Mike

Fair enough, but still an odd choice, thats 4 cells in series. I understand from a tech point why it would be done that way, but still a bit OTT.

royfellows

I have just visited the 'Tiger Lights' site the logic of my reasoning being that they probably use the same charger, however the "Buy Now" page is not accessible and the business up for sale leading me to think that the whole outfit has packed up.

No accounts for Custom Idea Ltd have as yet been filed for this year and we are about to go into October.

A bit of advice, I would resist the possible temptation, should it exist, to use a 24V laptop charger as we have no knowledge at all of the working of the charging management electronics in the battery case. I think you need a 'techy' friend.

As a further thought, I wonder if the battery case could be modified with say thumb nuts to easily come apart, and spring contacts fitted so that it can be easily filled with individual cells.

Big advantage would be latest high tech Li Ion cells and easy swap. Its an idea

Rhys

Yes. There's certainly some sort of "smart" charging going on in the battery and/or charger. It's not just a case of connecting red to red and black to black from an off-the-shelf charger.

Custom Ideas still seem to be selling other stuff, just not lights. I'll wait for a response and chase up. Perhaps even phone. But I do hate actually talking to people... ;-)

shortscotsman

In case it helps..this is the sticker on my charger
IMG_1192.jpg

george

Hi - don't give up yet - I'm pretty sure I have 50% of a charger at home! The tricky 50% with the loads of fiddly pins! the other half that plugs into it is far more 'standard' - it just looks like a phone charger.
I'll have a look when I get back but please send me reminder messages if I forget as I've got a lot on this weekend!
George

george

Found it!
It is just the Smart Charger bit with the end that plugs into the battery with the 6 tiny pins. The missing piece (that plugs into the wall) is a simple round pin - I just tried it with my bike lamp charger and it works!
I'm in Yorkshire so we just need to get it to you...

Rhys

Thanks for the help everyone. I should now be sorted. Several people have informed me that Rich at Warmbac keeps some spares. He is going to sort me out.

Rhys