• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Top tip for restoring plastic lenses.

PeteHall

Not sure why this has never occurred to me before, but I had a genius idea tonight and thought I'd share it in case it helps anyone else.

As I was sorting some kit, I was just about to throw away an old diving pressure gauge that's so scratched that it is impossible to read the numbers. I lent back on my heels to stand up, and my eyes fell upon a pot of T-cut on the shelf. Worth a shot, I thought.

Well, after a few minutes work, the lens on the gauge looked like new! I can even read the numbers without my glasses now!

Next on my list was a rather scratched old Petzl Duo. I always used to say that the cheapest upgrade for a Duo was a new lens; it doubles the brightness straight away and only costs a few pounds. But it turns out that T-cut will restore a scratched Duo lens in minutes too, saving a few quid and a bit of landfill.

I'm no chemist, but I'm pretty sure that this will work for most clear plastic lenses. It's probably a good idea to use the neutral colour though, unless you want some funky lighting effects!  (y)

ZombieCake

There's a thing called Polywatch that works well too on plastic (not glass) watch faces that I've used with general success.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/polyWatch-Scratch-Remover-Repair-Polish/dp/B00E3T237C  (other vendors are available).  Autoglym works as well - used it on a plastic torch lens.

Maj

I have in the past used T-cut on car headlamp lenses and UPVC window frames. Also with great success on a white toilet seat cover that a cleaner had poured  neat bleach or some other aggressive cleaning product over leaving a matt finish in the shape that the chemical first touched the lid. A little elbow grease and T-cut and the lid was back to a glossy shine.

Other very fine abrasives I've heard it said work well too, like toothpaste.

When servicing forklift trucks we used to polish the perspex screens with a silicone "cockpit" spray, it surprisingly seemed to bring back relatively clear visibility to badly scratched screens. I guess the silicone filled the finer scratches. The silicone spray is the sort of thing car dealers use to clean and shine the cars interior plastic & vinyl trim (often a little too enthusiastically in my view).

Maj.

kay

If scratches are too deep for a fine abrasive to work, and you're on the verge of throwing whatever-it-is away, a coating of clear nail varnish is worth a try.Not perfect, but considerable improvement.

ali_mac

I've had mileage out of creme cleaner and toothpaste in a similar manner to this.
Maybe useful if you don't have T-Cut lying around?

Duncan Price

I've tried both toothpaste and Brasso to polish out some fine scratches in clear acrylic tube.  I'll give the T-cut a go.  As a last resort I'll try exposing it to acetone vapour.

Silicone spray is good for getting a final cut on hard plastic to a good finish on the lathe.

manrabbit

There's a product specially developed to polish car headlights called "K2 Lamp Doctor" available online for about 4 quid a tube. There are also a few ceramic coatings that claim to give a 9H hardness to plastic headlights, some of these work if they are cured properly.

hannahb

This is great, I've been looking for a way to polish the face of my cheap Casio watch which has a fine haze of scratches. I wondered about T-cut but Polywatch sounds better!