• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

OFD Keys Midweek

Christian_Chourot

Four of us from UBSS were hoping to go caving in OFD (not OFD I though, I know you need to contact the family by the cave in advance) and we've never had the chance to go midweek before now. Would there be anyone around at SWCC (or somewhere else) to get a key from tomorrow?

If not, how much notice if normally needed and where do people collect the key from? I couldn't work it out from the access section of the SWCC website.

Ta.

Tony_B

There are several local keyholders who can issue OFD keys to you, all within a few miles of Penwyllt. I will send you a PM with contact details.
- Tony.

Christian_Chourot

Ta very much.

Any locals able to give me an idea of what they reckon the streamway will be like? I notice some heavy rain forecast for tomorrow afternoon and I can't seem to find data on recent rainfall there on the Met Office site.

ogofmole

Well it is chucking it down with rain at the moment in Brecon, which is about 15 miles north of OFD.

Tony_B

Christian,
            the streamway goes up and down very quickly in response to rainfall, so in a sense recent events have a limited bearing (although clearly if the ground is saturated that will make matters worse). The best guide is to look at the water under the bridge after you turn to Penwyllt off the A4067, if the river is 'up' then tread carefully if you plan to be in the streamway.

In short, the OFD stream is not a place to be if it's raining heavily on the surface, so if that's what the forecast says it's going to do then be very careful! There's loads of OFD to explore without going near the streamway, and it'll still be there next time...
Tony.