Welsh travel

Rachel

I have a question for those of you who are familiar with Welsh roads....

Newport doesn't look that far away from where the caves are clustered in terms of miles, but how long would it actually take to drive from Newport to the nearest cave?

Joel Corrigan

Hi Rachel.
You could probably get to East Brecon (Aggy, Draenen, Daren etc) area in about three quarters of an hour or so, unless you drive a milk float...  West Brecon (OFD etc) would take you a bit longer, I guess.

There are some pokey caves just outside of Cardiff that aren't much cop but they are close.

If you're struggling then feel free to get in touch with the Cardiff crowd through me.  Don't know many Newport-based cavers but sure they still exist.

damian

Hi Rachel,

I was born and brought up about 15 mins from Newport and my parents still live there.

Timings from the tunnels on M4 (5 mins from middle of Newport, assuming no traffic) as follows:

Draenen - 25 mins
Daren/Aggy/Clydach - 40 mins
OFD/DYO - 55 mins

I should also add that the Mendips is only about 60 mins away with the 2nd Severn Crossing. (It's over ?5 for the toll though)

Are you thinking of moving? If you do, Hades has to be the answer  ;)

A

andrew y

I live in newport near to junction 29 tredegar park and when i go caving it takes me;
              45 mins to ystradfellte
              40 mins to clydach gorge area
I lived in cardiff before and find newport a much better location to travel to caves.
                                Andrew

Rhys

The Southern part of the Forest of Dean and the Wye Valley is only 30 minutes away too...

Rhys (on the rural fringes of Newport)

Rachel

Thanks everyone. We're planning a round-the-perimeter-of-Wales  camper van tour, possibly for next Easter, so I think Newport is definitely down as one of the stops now.

cheers
Rachel