• BCA Finances

An informative discussion

Recently there was long thread about the BCA. I can now post possible answers to some of the questions, such as "Why is the BCA still raising membership prices when there is a significant amount still left in its coffers?"

Click here for more

Huge collection of books etc now available

Pitlamp

I have a large number of boxes of books available here, which can be had in exchange for donations to a good cause. Readers of this area of the forum will remember that last time it was in aid of the CDG compressor fund. This latest material is being disposed of in aid of the Northern Pennine Club Library. The room in which the NPC libary is housed needs to be extended to accomodate the increasing amount of material stored in it. This is going to involve building work which will need funds we don't have. So we've established a "Library extension fund" - and this disposal of books etc is one way we hope to raise the necessary money.

Many of the books are caving books, some quite rare. There are also a few very old books which are moderately valuable. Other stuff includes various journals, a few caving videos and assorted other items. We have a good idea of the value of the individual items and so we have in mind suitable "reserve prices". However this is not an auction; we're just asking for a realistic donation for any items requested. As ever, one important aim is that these things will end up with people who will appreciate them.

Because the collection is so big it'll be advertised in seperate dollops. The first of these is the contents of 3 large boxes and I hope to have a list of everything in them available by tomorrow (Tuesday 10-2-09). If you want to see the list just PM me with a proper email address to which I can send it as an email attachment. In amongst this stuff there are many gems; it'll be first come first served.

Pitlamp

Crikey - what a response!

Ok, as at lunchtime today (Tuesday) I think I've got the list off now to just about everyone who responded. Now it's a case of first come first served.

Thank you all for your interest.

Pitlamp

Some peoples' email addresses have bounced. Please see main UKCaving pages (top of index) for message titled "Calling D.Gledhill"

Pitlamp

Well folks - I am amazed by your generosity. Only 18 books from that first batch still remain. Soon I hope to have a list of the second batch, which I'll alert everyone to via this forum as previously. (Any residue from the first batch will be tacked onto the end of the second list.)

I'm particularly grateful for the speed with which those who responded have got their cheques to me; co-ordinating this disposal of books has been very complicated and your efficiency has made it very much easier. Thanks also go to those individuals who have kindly offered to deliver books to caving colleagues elsewhere in the country, thus avoiding what would otherwise have been expensive postage. We've made a good start towards raising the sum we need.

Pitlamp

The second batch of books will soon be available; list ready in a couple of days with any luck.

Pitlamp

OK folks - the second batch of books & stuff is now ready. I have tried to send it out to people who showed interest with the first batch just before posting this - so check your normal email before sending me a PM via this forum. Anyone else interested just PM me with your proper email address and I'll send you the list.

This one is a mixture of mining, caving & geology books, with a few journals as well.

Pitlamp

Hello again folks - the 3rd list of books is now available. I've just sent it out to everyone (I think!) who has shown interest in the past. If anyone else wants to see it just PM me with your proper email address and I'll send it as an attachment.

This list contains the usual disparate mixture of caving and semi-related material - but would be especially of interest to anyone wanting to fill gaps in collections of Descent or SWCC Newsletters. There's also three immediately post war Welsh climbing guides.

Pitlamp

Still plenty of Descents and most of the South Wales stuff left if anyone else wants to see the current list?

Pitlamp

Well, it's been a while since there was anything fresh coming available but this snow has grounded me and I'll try and sort out a bit more material to make available (as before in exchange for donations to the NPC library fund). Coming soon will be boxes of CPC journals / Records, William Pengelly publications and a very big box of Yorkshire Geological Society Journals. If anybody is particularly interested in the latter two please PM me to express that interest; we don't want a large donation but it'd make life easier for me if someone just took the boxfulls complete rather thanone off journals going here and there.

Otherwise watch this space.

Pitlamp

All William Pengelly material gone.

Any geologists out there want the YGS journals? (If so PM me.) There are a lot of them. Not looking for any great donation, just a small addition to the NPC library fund.

Pitlamp

Being marooned inside because of the lousy weather I spent all afternoon today making a list of all the Yorkshire Geological Society journals. It took all afternoon because (obviously!) one gets distracted reading them. There are articles of direct caving interest by well known cavers such as Tony Waltham. Anyway, it's an almost complete set from between 1955 and 1992. They're best suited to people with some geological experience, or cavers with a greater than normal interest in the Dales region (though other parts of the country feature fairly often). We're just looking for a token donation to the NPC library fund for these. PM me your proper email address if you want me to send you the list.