Weil's disease does kill

graham

I appreciate that this is not directly a caving story but it does have a bearing on what we do.

Olympic rowing medallist Andy Holmes aged 51 has died from what is believed to be Weil's disease.

From the Telegraph

Holmes, who was 51, died last Sunday evening, after the infection spread to his liver and kidney. It may not be possible now to confirm that he had Weil?s, but it is thought highly likely that he had caught the disease.

Leptospirosis is an infection carried by many animals, and transmitted via water containing infected urine. It is a perennial risk to rowers, canoeists and other watersport enthusiasts, as well as those who work in wet conditions and with livestock. However, there are only a few dozen cases each year, most of which can be cured with antibiotics.

Slug

Sad news indeed Graham.

I heard this on the radio whilst driving home last night. The report gave the cause of death as Leptospirosis, and gave a rather vague comment that it is caused by contaminated water. True(ish), but now maybe the time to remind cavers of the risks that this poses to us all, perhaps the B.C.A. might wish to circulate some advice, here would be a good place to do it.

A bit of info on it, and its alternative names can be found here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospirosis

Roger W

Weil's has been mentioned or discussed a few times on the forum: click on ukcaving.com to get to the top of the pile then search for Weil's. 

Tragic news about Andy Holmes    :(

Slug

Good point Les. This is the sort of thing that slips out of mind until something like this happens.

I knew that there was a B.C.A. info document,  it just needs a gentle reminder every now and then, especially at this time of year when there are a lot of Uni clubs with newbies on their first trips, and hazzards like this are probably not their first thought.

ianball11

He is a bit of a hero of mine, amazing rowing ability from someone who isn't as genetically gifted as Redgrave and Pinsent.

Ian B.

mrodoc

Ironically one the best known cavers to get it  was a doctor - and pathologist to boot. He survived.

paul

mrodoc said:
Ironically one the best known cavers to get it  was a doctor - and pathologist to boot. He survived.

Possibly more aware than most of the symptoms and possible outcome?