Wieliczka Salt Mine

skimble

Discussion continued from AditNow.

640px-Relief_copy_of_the_Leonardo_Da_Vinci%27s_Last_Supper-Saint_Kinga_Chamber_in_Wieliczka_Salt_Mine.jpg

Photo credit: Wikipedia

tomferry

Great idea ! Ok I visited the site in August 2019 believe I did the standard tour which lasted a fair few hours , we reached the area where I got told you use to be able to go on the boat onwards to another area of the mine ,quoted from my tour guide ? this was stopped due to people jumping of the boat and nearly drowning due to the water being very salty ? she was polish and tried her very best to talk English and was actually very good !

A truly remarkable place ! I have seen photos of people in hard hats in their we didn?t have to wear any on are trip?

Tom

skimble

I wasn't offered a hard hat in 2017. I was loaned a headset to hear what the guide was saying; unfortunately the battery died part way through the trip and this resulted in me parting company with the rest of my group after I had stopped to take a couple of photos.  So I went solo until I found them again.  ;)

The amazing thing about the artwork in the chapel is that it was done by miners, not by professional sculptors.

I was also very impressed by the salt-impregnated timbering in the Micha?owice Chamber which is apparently 36m high.

Attachments

• IMG_4167sm.jpg
    IMG_4167sm.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 170

tomferry

A would reply again but having issues uploading photos have read the guide but still no luck sadly will carry on trying wanted to stick up a couple photos of my visit  :cry:

Mr Mike

Amazing place, I went in 1994, but have been to another salt mine since that is still working in cental Poland - see:

https://www.aditnow.co.uk/Mines/Klodawa-Salt-Mine_18279/

Some minor sculptures and various artworks in coloured salt, but no where near the scale of Wieliczka.

PeteHall

Not in the same league, but I've been over to the salt mine in Carrickfergus for work in the past. On plan, it looks just like any other salt mine, but the salt beds are all over the place, so driving around it is like being on a roller-coaster, trying to dodge huge quarry trucks! Needless to say, the polished salt is really slippery too!  :eek:

I can't find my photos, but this one from their website gives an idea of the gradients:

IrishSaltmines-HDRedit-CH3079-1024x682.jpg

https://irishsaltmining.com/gallery/

ZombieCake

Zbigniew Preisner recorded an album in there - Preisner's Music.  Has tracks from the Three Colours films, Double Life of Vernoque, Dekalog, etc.  Very nice if you like that sort of thing.