Dorothea Quarry

Cantclimbtom

Well, as a diver, if you don't know??

This could be wrong, so treat with caution until anyone else confirms. They bought in 2012 so might be out of date
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/07925113
Suggest you check that with a land registry search

Edit:. No Probably not them, they seem very fly by night and I think they've already flown. But for ?3 of your fair pounds, you could look it up here https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry

Graigwen

When I prospected it for copper it was owned by Caernarvon Crown Slate Quarries Ltd...but this was fifty years ago!

Steve Clark

Dorothea Pumped Hydro Ltd I believe.

Diving access has been negotiated by a BSAC club formed for the purpose. North Wales Technical Divers - NWTD. Basically you join the club for a fee, the club puts on security to control access on the days that it?s open, in accordance with rules set out by the owners. All a bit of a pain in the ar$e.

Good info on the Dorothea Quarry Facebook group and in this thread :

https://www.thediveforum.com/showthread.php?24927-Dorothea-Closed-to-vehicles

RobinGriffiths

Another Quarry Battery (Glynrhonwy) type of joint then? Preumably using Blaen y Cau or Gallt y Fedw as the upper reservoir.

Paul Marvin

Cantclimbtom said:
Well, as a diver, if you don't know??

This could be wrong, so treat with caution until anyone else confirms. They bought in 2012 so might be out of date
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/07925113
Suggest you check that with a land registry search

Edit:. No Probably not them, they seem very fly by night and I think they've already flown. But for ?3 of your fair pounds, you could look it up here https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry

As a diver I dont know for sure, hence the question ( even divers dont know everything )  :LOL:, There ares a LOT of people claiming different bits, especially a dive club , but I think they are talking sh*t be honest and have put the gate up just to keep it for there little club . That doesn't bother us as we can walk the short way ( we have done much longer steeper walks in the past ) . We have done many dives here in the past but not since the gate/barrier was up .

RobinGriffiths

Went for a walk this afternoon as there's a couple of corners I still had to investigate. The signs on the perimiter mention three entities:
  • North Wales Technical Diver Club - contactable via www.nwtd.co.uk
  • Landowner's Agent: Ocrow Estate Management Ltd - contactable at admin@ocrowem.com
  • Landowner: The Dorothea Lakes Ltd. - no contact details

The sign states:
  • Areas off the public right of way are private, and access is not permitted.
  • Public access to the water is strictly forbidden
  • Diving is restricted to members of the North Wales Technical Divers Club (NWTD)

There appears to have been some site changes since I was last there before Christmas. The incline that goes up to the 'pyarmid' near the pump house has been blocked off by having loads of branches tipped over the base, altough it is possible to get up from the other side of the tip. There are also loads of 2' deep trenches dug out all over the place, purpose unknown.

There were also a group of nature spirit types sat in a circle with flowers and leaves wrapped around their heads. God knows what they were up to.

As a general comment, I'd say that the landowners have a bit of a liability on their hands. For instance access to the head of the pumping shaft is only blocked by an unsecure fence panel, and it looks like people are going through to have a look at the shaft. The two slate 'pyramids' look quite unstable judging by the huge cracks. Add some public right of ways to the mix...

Steve Clark

The gates came before dive club I think.

The club was apparently formed to negotiate the access. The technical training requirement came from BSAC because prior to the gates, the official line from BSAC was that they didn?t support any diving in Dorothea, due to the number incidents.

I?ve not dived there since the gates were erected.

Paul Marvin

RobinGriffiths said:
Went for a walk this afternoon as there's a couple of corners I still had to investigate. The signs on the perimiter mention three entities:
  • North Wales Technical Diver Club - contactable via www.nwtd.co.uk
  • Landowner's Agent: Ocrow Estate Management Ltd - contactable at admin@ocrowem.com
  • Landowner: The Dorothea Lakes Ltd. - no contact details

The sign states:
  • Areas off the public right of way are private, and access is not permitted.
  • Public access to the water is strictly forbidden
  • Diving is restricted to members of the North Wales Technical Divers Club (NWTD)

There appears to have been some site changes since I was last there before Christmas. The incline that goes up to the 'pyarmid' near the pump house has been blocked off by having loads of branches tipped over the base, altough it is possible to get up from the other side of the tip. There are also loads of 2' deep trenches dug out all over the place, purpose unknown.

There were also a group of nature spirit types sat in a circle with flowers and leaves wrapped around their heads. God knows what they were up to.

As a general comment, I'd say that the landowners have a bit of a liability on their hands. For instance access to the head of the pumping shaft is only blocked by an unsecure fence panel, and it looks like people are going through to have a look at the shaft. The two slate 'pyramids' look quite unstable judging by the huge cracks. Add some public right of ways to the mix...

What about the public footpaths that criss cross the site ?

RobinGriffiths

Yes, that's what I mean. Tons of footpaths, crumbling masonry, falling down buildings (Plas Talysarn) and several deep water filled pits. I wonder what their risk assesment looks like?

Wayland Smith

As a coincidence, Talysarn Hall is mentioned in this article.
Talysarn Hall, Dorothea Quarry
As quarrying expanded, the old village of Talysarn was moved west, and what remains today is like a Welsh Angkor Wat, according to Daniel Start, author of Wild Guide Wales.
?Only the baboons are missing,? he said.
?It?s a vast, wild site with many fascinating, overgrown ruins, including a Cornish beam engine and the overgrown remains of the chapel at Plas Talysarn.?
Like many other former quarry pits, Dorothea Quarry has long since flooded: the lake is over 100m deep in places.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/north-wales-secret-walks-hidden-20497934

Paul Marvin

Steve Clark said:
Dorothea Pumped Hydro Ltd I believe.

Diving access has been negotiated by a BSAC club formed for the purpose. North Wales Technical Divers - NWTD. Basically you join the club for a fee, the club puts on security to control access on the days that it?s open, in accordance with rules set out by the owners. All a bit of a pain in the ar$e.

Good info on the Dorothea Quarry Facebook group and in this thread : 

https://www.thediveforum.com/showthread.php?24927-Dorothea-Closed-to-vehicles

I think you are right but with a few changes of directors  (y)

RobinGriffiths

Back to Dorothea today. The upper quarries and workings are very interesting. Found a couple of adits I hadn't seen before, bracken still quite low.

If I didn't have a dozen projects on the go, I'd be quite tempted to start a mapping project on the upper quarries.