Dead Man's Cave republished

P

peaksoft

3c7fc27a02a067aafca36110._AA240_.L.jpg

For those who collect caving fiction, I am delighted to announce that Conon Fraser's brilliant book, first published in 1954, will be available in a new edition from December 3.

It is absolutely impossible to find an original copy (go on, try Abebooks, as I did for eight years) because those fortunate enough to have a copy hang onto it.  Conon wrote two more caving adventures, which you will find easily, but they just don't stand any comparison with Dead Man's Cave.

He wrote it for the teenage boys' market, but like all good books for youngsters, it's a great read for adults as well.

This is a brand new paperback edition, published under contract with Conon (now retired to New Zealand) with the original full-page illustrations by the late Will Nickless, by arrangement with his son.  There's a new foreword by Conon, together with the 15-year-long story of how the republication came about.

Descent will be reviewing it in the New Year.

You'll find it on Amazon at http://tinyurl.com/22tbcd with a long supply delay at ?9.98 but I will be able to supply it quickly and direct at ?7.99 + ?1 p&p.

To pay by credit or debit card, email me hlw@peaksoft.co.ukfor a Paypal invoice, or send a cheque for ?8.99 to Harry Whitehouse, 48 Queen Street, Balderton, Newark, NG24 3NS.

fd60c27a02a02ae7d2d56110._AA240_.L.jpg

P

peaksoft

I've been asked about the plot. Obvious question really.  I've just lived with this book for so long that it never occurred to me.

Four 16-year-olds, including two experienced cavers, stay at a club hut on Mendip.  On their first trip, they discover a piece of cave graffiti left during the war by a French commando, and set off on a trail that takes them in search of a lost cave in the Pyrenees. 

If you want more...get the book! (y)

graham

cap 'n chris said:
Still a teenager at heart, eh, Graham?  (y)

Conon Fraser is an excellent writer, Chris. I have read and thoroughly enjoyed his other caving books, but have never been able to find this one. Anyway, Linda collects cave literature so it's a present for her.

P

peaksoft

First of all, I'm really chuffed about the interest this has generated.

No one's aware of the re-issue of Dead Man's Cave except through this board at the moment (the only way anyone would find it on Amazon would be by searching specifically for it).

But thanks to this board, I've already had 23 orders, or messages about intended orders, from only 143 viewings, including some multiple orders.

Because of the tale behind the republication, there's going to be radio and Press coverage after the official launch at a publicity event in the New Year, and regional TV seem to be interested as well, so I'm hoping it will do quite well.

The very last page of DMC has a plug for this site and for Descent, by the way.

Finally, there's now a credit/debit card payment link on http://www.peaksoft.co.uk

P

peaksoft

Many thanks to everyone who has ordered.  Dead Man's Cave is now in stock and copies already ordered will be despatched tomorrow. (Wednesday 5th).

cap n chris

peaksoft said:

No quite correct; the very last page of DMC has a plug for Descent's website, caving.uk.com, and for Descent.

P

peaksoft

cap 'n chris said:
peaksoft said:

No quite correct; the very last page of DMC has a plug for Descent's website, caving.uk.com, and for Descent.

That's true.  Well, with a reprint due, I'll remedy that. 

rsch

What's this I see in the news? :)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/7239615.stm

I enjoyed the copy I got for xmas, by the way.

P

peaksoft

I switched from "Whitehouse" to "Whitehead" in the space of two paragraphs, but I mustn't complain.

We had a great morning at Mansfield library, where they had put on a caving display, then BBC radio rang me for an interview while I was standing on top of a hill in Yorkshire. I had to take my jacket off and hang it over my head to stop the wind blowing on my mobile phone.

I think we might even get something in one of the quality nationals - so if you want a copy of the first print run...don't wait too long.

H

hoehlenforscher

Currently reading the copy I bought for GF's christmas present. She loved it, i'm enjoying it...

Thanks  (y) (y)

H

harry

hoehlenforscher said:
Currently reading the copy I bought for GF's christmas present. She loved it, i'm enjoying it...

Thanks  (y) (y)

I've got to warn you, it can take over. 

If one of you ever mumbles in their sleep:  "This dead chap is Fran?ois," and the other mumbles back:  "An, where, may I ask, be the Pinerees?" you're in trouble.  :eek:

P

peaksoft

I do appreciate the enthusiasm with which the republication of Dead Man's Cave has been received.

I had thought there might be a chance of it jumping on the coat-tails of the likes of Dangerous Book For Boys, but that hasn't happened.

Nevertheless, sales have been very gratifying, and for those who don't have a copy - well, I'm not going to do this again in ANOTHER 50 years, so this is probably your last chance.