Dales dye tracing database

Prof. Warthog

During the pandemic we have been trying to collate records of all the dye traces undertaken in the Yorkshire Dales karst. Our intention is to make this resource available to all. Having made a start on the project we are now seeking input from the caving community. The information we are looking for is:

Area (from the Northern Caves guide book)

Injection point name and NGR

Detection point name and NGR

Tracer details (what and how much)

Detection method (visual, cotton wool etc.)

Date of the test

Who undertook the trace, the

Details of where it is recorded and any notes you feel relevant (e.g.
water levels)

We appreciate not all details will be available for every test and we are happy to accept test which have not been recorded in the literature so please get searching through your libraries and notes. This should hopefully provide a great resource to aid our hydrological understanding and caving exploration potential.

We have already covered the classic YGPS studies of Ingleborough and Malham

Please send your entries to g.proudlove[at]manchester.ac.uk  (remembering to replace [at] with @)

The master database is not globally accessible but a copy of it will be available to all on Google Sheets. This is currently being developed.

Phil Murphy and Graham Proudlove

Leclused

Hello,

I can't help you with any data.  I only can give you the following link

https://cartes.ternum-bfc.fr/?config=apps/dreal-bourgogne-franche-comte/carte-eau.xml#

This application shows a lot of information about dye tracing in France . I might help / give you ideas of how to develop an application for showing your data.

BR

I am building the dye tracing database as an Excel Table which is a good way of handling quadrangular data sets. It is also very searchable and sortable. Currently it is on Onedrive. I am still thinking about the best way to share the Table and make it read-only. I will communicate this once I have sorted it out. We have one new result already submitted.

Graham Proudlove

Andy Farrant

It would also be worth recording where tracer was monitored for, but not detected. Whilst a negative result is not proof that the water does not flow to that point, it is still useful information.

Prof. Warthog

Dear snebbit
Thank you for the offer - not sure where we are going with this part of the project but will certainly keep you in mind. Over 200 traces entered so far.

andywebman

Graham Proudlove said:
I am building the dye tracing database as an Excel Table which is a good way of handling quadrangular data sets. It is also very searchable and sortable. Currently it is on Onedrive. I am still thinking about the best way to share the Table and make it read-only. I will communicate this once I have sorted it out. We have one new result already submitted.

Graham Proudlove

Great to hear this has got off the ground at last. We did try a few years ago after the weekend at Balham. I have quite a few tests from various areas. Where shall I send them to.
Hugh St Lawrence has done some in Barbondale area as well

Andy Hall

I am sure that some dye tests will have been done as part of the building of the of the eastern (Large-Rift etc etc) end of the Three Counties System. Please can we know what they are?

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,Graham

Prof. Warthog

Over 300 traces entered so far - many thanks to all who have contributed. Do search out those records and send in the details.
Thanks

Please send your entries to g.proudlove[at]manchester.ac.uk  (remembering to replace [at] with @)

Pitlamp

Although you've not heard from me yet, I am compiling information over the dark nights for this worthy project

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Graham and Prof.  Following on from your brilliant presentation at CNCC AGM today if i PM you my email etc would you send me the dye trace detail we spoke of?

Cheers
Tim

snebbit

Hi all, an update on this project from the website point of view, and a call for feedback :mad:

Prototype is here: http://tracing.snebbit.com/

It needs making more pretty but the functionality should be mostly done, including a map view, with an initial sample dataset. Feedback would be gladly welcome. We're going to focus on getting a working version live first before we add any other nifty features - ideas we've heard so far include map overlays for cave entrances, line surveys, geology.

Graham and Phil are still collating the complete database and I'm sure they'd be overjoyed to receive more data :) Please send to Graham at the contact details above though, rather than through the form on the website

Pitlamp

This is looking great!

The map seems to have a few anopmalies - for examople the green pin for "Grey Wife Sike" in Crummackdale? Many of the Allotment pots with drainage arrows to Moses Well?? Eller Keld high in the GG catchment? But I'm sure these minor aberrations can be ironed out.

I'll send you a PM direct with another thought. But - well done!

andys

It does look great!

Looking at some of the anomalies Pitlamp has found, it appears that there are some digit-swap errors in some of the grid refs eg 132456 instead of 123456 and some site-swap errors (eg the gridref for Austwick Beck Head being replaced by that of Clapham Beck Head). But these will get ironed out over time - especially if you the data enquiry tools on the database to compare the location details of sites with the same name.

snebbit

There's some injection point out in the middle of the Irish Sea somewhere too - the effort these guys go to

I'll add a feature to report mistakes on a trace that'll flag it up

Cheers guys