Overall/ boiler suit to leave at dig

AlexR

So we've recently moved from a squalid muddy dig we aptly named The Gulag to a lovely dry one.
This is great, except I now sweat like a horse in a glue factory as I swing the mattock like some self-interned labour camp inmate. But at least I can tell my hands from my tools and Luke can't bury another crowbar of mine.

I'm toying with the idea of getting myself a cheap overall to leave at the dig, my concern being mould/ rot. Presumably a 100% polyester overall would be ok, but any I've come across have at least some cotton in them.

Has anyone done this? Any ideas?

Solutions I've considered but discarded:
a) Take the top of oversuit off -done it, but not great for the undersuit with rock contact
b) Get a more breathable oversuit - what am I, made of money? Also, the way to the dig can be quite wet.
c) Take an overall in and out with me - If I had to, but it's a bit of a way and I'm lazy

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried adjusting your layers underneath the oversuit.  Use several and take a few off at the dig.  Or..  try a lighter weight oversuit such as an Alp.  In years and years of digging I haven't come across anyone leaving a different  oversuit at the dig site - yet! :dig:

Simon Beck

If it helps, I've always reminded myself I'm not mean't to be comfortable, but having left stuff myself I'm saying nope, when it's long term.

Ian Ball

I've an old red XL one you can have, a Beaver suit from Bernies bought about 2005.  I ripped the back seam about ten minutes into wearing it so it's more like a jacket and trousers, should keep you cool ;-)

AlexR

Thanks all for the input!

Badland - I've already gone for my thinnest undersuit to try and compensate, but think it's the waterproof-ish nature of the AV that makes things sweaty. You're right that the Alp would be better suited here, but it's the ?130 that is the problem (mainly because my descender and harness need replacing, plus every penny saved is pretty much going into the dig  ;) :dig:).

But you've made me reconsider this and there's a middle ground I might try. Go in the AV, wear bibs and a scratty old top. So when I take the top of the AV off my "undersuit" top will get trashed, but it won't matter.

Simon - fair, I don't overly mind suffering as long as there's a point. So has your experience been that anything left behind just rots/ gets mouldy?

Ian - Fantastic, I'll send you a message!

At least there is an advantage to my sweating. The dig is in a completely fossil part of the cave, and even the bit that gets water a couple of 100m's along doesn't get it very often. So weeing in bottles it is, less so for me because I just sweat it out.

Ian Ball

Sorry Alex! I can't find it, I must have chucked it when clearing out the garage a while back.

You could try Ebay for a cheap suit, there's a medium wetsuit going for 99p and a XL warmbac cordura going for ?8 at the minute.

royfellows

I dont wear an oversuit but prefer Dickies Redhawk overalls.
I used to buy oversuits but had recurring issues with zip failure before the suit was worn out. As a mine explorer rather than a caver i put this down at least in part to ochre and low ph water which may effect zip fasteners, Most heavy duty ones look like nylon so could be affected? I dont know.

I also tend to sweat a lot, I do a lot of karate as well as the underground and the top of my gi (uniform) gets soaked, so I am unusual in this respect.

Anyway, i often take a thin waterproof top which I can take on or off as required.

In effect the Dickies are very hard wearing although not particularly cheap as about ?20 -?25, but worth the money. The knees are reinforced with double layer material.
I honestly recommend to anyone who is a 'sweater' as I am. Each to their own.

Very wet trips I still go for a wetsuit, with thin overalls over the top, although the sweating in these can be appaling.

moorebooks

royfellows said:
I used to buy oversuits but had recurring issues with zip failure before the suit was worn out. As a mine explorer rather than a caver i put this down at least in part to ochre and low ph water which may effect zip fasteners, Most heavy duty ones look like nylon so could be affected? I dont know.

I also tend to sweat a lot, I do a lot of karate as well as the underground and the top of my gi (uniform) gets soaked, so I am unusual in this respect.

Anyway, i often take a thin waterproof top which I can take on or off as required.

In effect the Dickies are very hard wearing although not particularly cheap as about ?20 -?25, but worth the money. The knees are reinforced with double layer material.

Very wet trips I still go for a wetsuit, with thin overalls over the top, although the sweating in these can be appaling.

Perhaps your nickname should be changed to Compo (as in last of the Summer wine) and you avatar a pair of old wellies ??

Mike

Paul Marvin

royfellows said:

They are exactly the same we use Roy , (y) we find them very good . Warmbacs and the like I just cook in them