Birks Fell Cave

R

rogerkirk

Anyone fill us in with a bit of info on this cave as I don't have Northern Caves 1.? Keen to see what I'll be up against and believe it's a superb system.

Cheers.

Pitlamp

It is indeed a magnificent cave. Get hold of the CPC journal (1968?) which has the main exploration account from your club library; it makes excellent reading. This journal has a large survey with it as well.

There have been serious access problems over the years and it's important to arrange your trip via the CNCC. There have also been some bad rescues so take care, especially with the weather. If you are destined for the very end I'd wear a wetsuit.

Stupot

Was in there over Easter, what a cracking cave, and as Pitlamp say's put a wetsuit on, it was very wet and pretty cold too.

There were signs of flooding in the lower sections and we had to remove some debris from the Bradford Crawl for some larger people in the group :LOL:

Highly recommended, and like the guide book states "One of the finest sporting potholes in the North"

Stu.

dunc

To echo the comments of Stu and Pit, its a very fine and worthy trip!!

Quite a mixed bag of caving; walking, crawling, climbing, wet, dry, only 4 pitches and they aren't too big.. From what I recall it was reasonable going to Elbow Bend and just to that makes a good (slightly shorter/easier) trip, past that it became wetter and a bit more awkward in nature?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good weather in May as I'll be making another return visit. :D

P

Prince of Darkness

Was right at the bottom of it many years ago when it flash flooded. Spent an 'interesting' 12 hours at the head of the last pitch wondering if the water would back right up it. Found another party on the way out complete with badly injured member. The subsequent rescue made national news in all the media there were hundreds of reporters, rescuers police, fire service etc. A memorable trip!
The cave was probably flooded to the roof for a third of its length the exit from the crawl to where we waited was sumped. Weather forecasts are better now.

R

rogerkirk

Thanks a lot. Nine of us did the trip this weekend and it was brilliant. As you say - very wet, and the Bradford Crawl has done my knees in big style. One you want to do again.