Edwards shortcut

twiglet

Is a rope or any other tackle required to complete the round trip, Gnome passage-Edwards shortcut-Selenite tunnel-Salubrious & back up to Gnome passage via Chasm passage in OFD ? I have done some trips and found both ends now, the drop down the hole at floor level on the left side of gnome looks a bit committing, especially in the case of route finding error and having to return back up !

Tony_B

Twiglet, much depends on your ability and that of your party. The climb down at the top end of Edward's (just as you turn left out of Gnome) is about 4m and very slippery, but is easily slithered down by experienced cavers or those who have simply learned to control a descent by bracing their legs. I have frequently taken novices here and always rig a rope for them, but at the same time use it as a test to see if they can grasp the 'bracing' concept - useful for all sorts of things in caving.

The 'crux move' of the route you describe is the traverse about halfway along Edward's Shortcut. This is exposed but a very easy traverse for those who are confident about having their feet on one side of the passage and hands on the other, but nonetheless many otherwise capable cavers dislike it. Rigging a rope for the less experienced is recommended but there isn't much to tie it to. You'll have to improvise.

There is nothing else to trouble you on this little circuit, but President's Leap requires care; this is an exposed ledge just before you arrive at the Crossroads (when coming from Selenite). This is so named because the SWCC President fell down it on a solo trip some years ago and had to be helped by a party who came along subsequently.

If there is anything else you need to know just ask - enjoy your trip.

Tony_B

Forgot to mention...if you do have to return up Edward's Shortcut, the climb at the top end is, as you guessed, tricky. The best advice I can give is not to try and climb up the 'greasy chimney' bit you slithered down but to go a few metres back and climb up before traversing across at the top level. This is not for novices or those not confident teetering on polished ledges!

mrodoc

I would agree wholeheartedly with Tony's analysis. We have got a very unconfident climber who doesn't like big holes etc across the traverse (roped) and up the climb with relatively little difficult (although some wittering).  I find such tackling such traverses depends greatly on the total ability of the party. The first time I crossed it was with a fast moving confident team and we used the feet one wall hands on the other method whilst the next time the slow moving party ended up using a rope!  The taller you are of course the easier it is - and I am relatively tall.

H

Hurricane

Don't underestimate how slippery the trip your are planning is and make sure everyone has tread on their wellies. Speaking as a shorter person, the slithery climb down at Edwards shortcut does bell out a bit at the bottom and you need some fast footwork find your feet - best let the tall go first!

Sounds like you havn't been into Top much - so don't forget the access conditions http://www.swcc.org.uk/caving/access/ofd.php

twiglet

Phew, Im glad I didnt get a "What a wimp" reply ! Its better to be a cautious coward than a reckless rescue statistic ! We did the presidents traverse from the crossroads end on our last trip and that wasnt too bad. The selenite tunnel and cross rift is a stunning bit of passage isnt it ? Highly enjoyable. Thanx for your advice everyone.

Kempseyman

Can anyone tell me if there is open passage at the bottom of the traverse ? (the one about half-way along Edwards)

I have to return there sometime to collect a sling and crabs that fell down into the hole.  The survey is unclear, but is there a route through to Northern Canyon  from here?  If not,  what is the way into Norther Canyon area as I have not been there yet.
Steve

Les W

It is Northern Canyon below the traverse.

To access it you can carry on down Edwards Short cut until the very steep boulder slope and then carry on along the straight passage, over a short traverse to a sandy floor with some red crystals in a dried out pool, straight on down a slope for a bit until you reach a dead end (there is a passage straight on above you but you would need to climb into it)
When you get to the dead end then Northern Canyon is the passage to your left.

Or you can access it from the other end - from the Labyrinth of from Arret or from Salubrious streamway, or you can abseil into it from near the Brickyard.

If you dropped kit down the traverse then the nearest access is from the bottom end (as described above).

Kempseyman

Thanks Les  it would appear that the Northern Canyon passages are quite extensive,  with good opportunities for round trips in the top series.
cheers
steve

ps are you the Les who does a bit of announcing at Hidden Earth ?

Les W

Kempseyman said:
Thanks Les  it would appear that the Northern Canyon passages are quite extensive,  with good opportunities for round trips in the top series.
cheers
steve

Be aware there is a loose boulder choke half way along Northern Canyon that requires a bit of respect when passing through.  :eek:

ps are you the Les who does a bit of announcing at Hidden Earth ?

I do do the odd bit of announcing at Hidden Earth, yes, but then I am Conference Manager.
See you there this year.  (y)