Mile Deep

Amy

Purely a currious post about the definition of "mile deep club". Is this below sealevel
(It is according to urban dictionary), below the earth (as in direct line to surface above), or must it be depth traversed downward (as in from entrance to location, so there are currently three caves that are more than a mile deep in the world).

Thoughts?

Personally i think below the surface wherever the surface currently is. So yes a submarine more than a mile down works just as well as if you can find a cave or mine you can get a mile below the earth surface above you.

Fulk

Hmmm, Amy, if you're implying what I think you're implying, I reckon that anyone who gets a mile deep in a cave won't have the energy left to do the deed.  ;)

RobinGriffiths

Defined in relation to underwater vehicles I guess below sea level. For caves and mines I would guess vertical distance to open-air would make sense for the purpose of proposed activity.

i.e. if you were to tell someone you were a member of said club, they wouldn't be interested in entrances (not cave ones anyway), just how much rock there was above you.

Rob

Tunnels would certainly be easier than Krubera! This one is going to be 2.5km underground at the deepest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotthard_Base_Tunnel

Alex

They could do, going down is not too hard, and could do it over a couple of days by camping. Its just after doing the deed they may not have much energy to get out again.

rhychydwr1

Amy said:
Purely a currious post about the definition of "mile deep club". Is this below sealevel
(It is according to urban dictionary), below the earth (as in direct line to surface above), or must it be depth traversed downward (as in from entrance to location, so there are currently three caves that are more than a mile deep in the world).

Thoughts?

Personally i think below the surface wherever the surface currently is. So yes a submarine more than a mile down works just as well as if you can find a cave or mine you can get a mile below the earth surface above you.

Amy, are you entering a contest or something?

Can I come along?

Amy

rhychydwr1 said:
Amy, are you entering a contest or something?

Can I come along?
no contest just got to thinking about it as i hear rumors about this mile deep club of cavers and yet there being only three caves that get a mile deep from their entrance and knowing many have not been to Georgia caving (country not state) i figured there must be some definition I was missing.

RobinGriffiths said:
Defined in relation to underwater vehicles I guess below sea level. For caves and mines I would guess vertical distance to open-air would make sense for the purpose of proposed activity.

i.e. if you were to tell someone you were a member of said club, they wouldn't be interested in entrances (not cave ones anyway), just how much rock there was above you.
this is what i was figuring as a better definition including based on rumors ive heard. I figured you brits are less repressed than Americans and might have a better grasp on the rules of such a club as it were. ;) plus it seemed an interesting forum topic  ;)

tamarmole

Alex said:
They could do, going down is not too hard, and could do it over a couple of days by camping. Its just after doing the deed they may not have much energy to get out again.

Given the nature of this discussion are we meant to take the phrase "going down" in context?  :LOL:

Benfool

There are in fact 5 caves in the world deeper than a mile:

Krubera 2197m
Sarma 1830m
Illyuzia-Mezhonnogo-Snezhnaya 1753m
Lamprechtsofen 1632m
Gouffre Mirolda 1626m

I guess those who care about being in the "mile deep club" define it as having done the deed at a point which is over a mile vertical from the highest point in the cave.

Bill Stone claimed to of entered the club in Huautla in his book Beyond the Deep, however I believe the cave has been resurveyed in later years and is now said to be 1545m deep (including the 80m in sump 9), so just short. Still an impressive achievement though!

rhychydwr1

Lamprechtsofen 1632m  If I remember  correctly is a through cave.  No need to descent a mile of strenuous cave passage.  Just nip into the bottom entrance for a quicky.  OK Amy?

Les W

I think that the "mile deep club"  is just rhetorical and is taken by people to refer to doing "it" underground.
I don't think the actual real depth is relevant...  :unsure:

Amy

I have heard rumors of people joining in Berger but last I checked Berger is a rather bit shy of a mile.

I also saw someone on reddit claiming golondrias counted. Now golondrinas does go a fair bit deeper than the initial 1100-1200 ft, however, certainly NOT a mile.

I was using the world deep cave list as my reference and only the too three caves were a mile deep. So if there are more that list is just not updated and you shouod submit the new numbers.

Still. Five options in the world seems slim pickings.

rhychydwr1 said:
Lamprechtsofen 1632m  If I remember  correctly is a through cave.  No need to descent a mile of strenuous cave passage.  Just nip into the bottom entrance for a quicky.  OK Amy?
thanks for the tip :p

David Rose

I am aware of this activity taking place in a certain cave in the Picos, which while not a mile deep, is well over a kilometre, although the underground camp where the fun was had was rather closer to the surface.

There is a special bonus for doing it beyond the free-diveable sump in Krubera which is below 17000 metres.

Meanwhile, I am aware of two individuals who claim to have scored at the South Col on Everest, more than five miles up. Now THAT'S impressive.

AR

David Rose said:
Meanwhile, I am aware of two individuals who claim to have scored at the South Col on Everest, more than five miles up. Now THAT'S impressive.

Never mind the height, it's the potential for frostbitten bits that makes that such a feat.... :eek:

Alex

Quote from: David Rose on Yesterday at 04:35:18 pm

...Krubera which is below 17000 metres.

Wow, Krubera really got deep after the last expedition then...  :tease:

I spotted that but decided against saying it, however, I know someone would say something hehe.