Info on caves in Lot, France

L.Brooker

Hello, I was hoping that someone might be able to help. We are a university group that are going to Lot in France from the 8th to the 22nd staying near Gramat. Naturally, being a university group, we have a range of different abilities some SRT trained and some not. If anyone has any information on caves in the region, book suggestions or contacts in France that might know more, then it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lydia

Fulk

Hi Lydia, The Event De Jonquilles is a fine cave (if you can find it); it starts as a small hole in a wood, and drops about 40 m into a big passage, which in one direction leads to a crawl that we didn't bother with, but in the other direction leads to a lovely stream passage. I believe that the entrance can take a lot of localized run-off, so if you go there watch the weather (same applies to the stream I guess ? it's quite a big  stream, and presumably responds to rain). (NB The obvious changing / parking area seems to be a local 'dogging' spot, and the sight of a mixed bunch of cavers getting changed seemed to cause some consternation to the local 'doggers' when we were there (that was 6 years ago)).

The Igue De Viazac is a much more serious undertaking, with a lot of pitches that descend to about 240 m; it starts as a big hole on a plateau. The rigging would make it suitable only for experienced SRT-ists. There is a 'delightful' wire traverse over a 'bottomless pit'. ALso, we encountered problems with bad air near the bottom ? I believe that this is found in a lot of caves in the area (including the one mentioned above).

The Igue de St Sol is a deep hole (~60 m) that leads to an enormous passage ? very impressive, but choked in both directions.

I daresay that you could get GPS coordinates if you Googled the names.

The Gouffre de Padirac show cave is also worth a visit

christine

Saut de la Pucelle, Jonquilles - already mentioned.
This link may help - if you can get hold of the CDS guidebooks, they are helpful (in French though, so take a pet French speaker if you aren't one) http://www.cds46.fr/saut-de-la-pucelle/
I would also recommend the Gouffre du Briant (great for novices - just need 2 ladders right in the entrance and one rope a little further on - Wetsuits a must as there is swimming) and Couze (large entrance nearby), which are in the Correze region just up from the Lot.

Chris

L.Brooker

Thanks, sound like there is a good range of caves which is nice. Sorry I forgot to mention we were going in June.