Author Topic: Bosch Uneo External Battery Modification  (Read 12960 times)

Offline jarvist

• obsessive maniac
  • Imperial College CC / Northern Pennine Club
    • Imperial College Caving Club
Re: Bosch Uneo External Battery Modification
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 10:23:49 am »
Rob's 'new generation' Uneo looks almost perfect, if it can still fit in a 6L drum. (Do you take the battery off to squeeze it in? With the standard Uneos we had to deform the mouth slightly to get it to squeeze through.)

If it's not too much effort, would you mind weighing your Uneo on some kitchen scales? The 1st gen Uneo with internal batteries removed + an extension cord added was ~900 g, which made it delightful to bolt climb with!

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • My Photos
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 08:19:01 pm »
My Uneo with battery is 1272g

Battery is 157g
The end is where we start....

Offline nihil_enochian

• Milan Rajcic
  • Sport Caving Association SAIS - Serbia
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 10:00:14 pm »
Thank you all for detailed replies. We already have one Makita, but we want something smaller to reduce weight when we go underground and when we need to put a few bolts only. Also this Bosch Uneo is cheaper than any Makita, at least here in Serbia. I will definitely check everything that you linked here, and if we buy this or anything else and modify it, I will post here of course.
Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Offline nihil_enochian

• Milan Rajcic
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 08:57:56 pm »
Hi. Here is update for my last post above. We bought one used Bosch Uneo and after a few days of reading and studying on internet about this modification I tried it today. Below are the photos how I did this. I used instructions from three different sources, one from here of course, one Spanish from youtube and one Italian.
And although I did everything as I saw I have problem to make this Uneo working with this sealed lead-acid  12V 7Ah battery. It just want start. When I connect it on its original Li-ion batteries Uneo start working. I check the voltage on lead acid battery and it is 13.7V and on original Li-ion is 15.3V. Does anyone knows what may be the problem? I put cable with two wires of 1.5mm2 and length about 1.7m. I also used one 6A diode on positive end to avoid destroying of electronic if  accidentally connected to different battery ends.I saw this on that Italian website.
So...anyone have a solution? :D

Offline Minion

• menacing presence
  • Diggas With Attitude
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 11:58:20 pm »
There will be a voltage drop across the diode of about 0.7v too.

Not sure what voltage the Ueno runs at or what voltage the battery protection circuits may cut in.

Have you measured the voltage at the terminals of the motor?

Offline nihil_enochian

• Milan Rajcic
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2017, 05:37:20 am »
I will check what is tge voltage on motor. Thanks. I also forget to mention for people who doesn't know that Uneo run son 14.4V but it also works with this modification on 12V. I will also try it without that diode and see if it will work. Thanks!

Offline nihil_enochian

• Milan Rajcic
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2017, 09:19:21 pm »
Update from he last post:
I removed diode from Uneo because I don't want this voltage drop as it now works on 12V battery. Problem because Uneo didn't work was bad battery. I borrowed that battery to try it from a friend who told me that it was good but he was wrong obviously. :D
We now got the new battery which is lead acid 12V 7Ah and we will see in a few days,I hope, how many holes can we drill. I also make a backup battery from its original Li-Ion batteries when we need to put only 2-3 8mm bolts.

Offline maxf

• stalker
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2017, 09:50:30 pm »
Would it be possible for you to video your tests ? I'm interested to see how quickly and easily it drills one hole..

Offline nihil_enochian

• Milan Rajcic
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 10:30:26 pm »
Of course. I will record videos with both batteries to see the difference. When I test it unloaded I noticed that it was a bit slower with 12V batteries which is normal.

Offline Minion

• menacing presence
  • Diggas With Attitude
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2017, 10:16:47 am »
Glad it’s working now!

Running at a lower voltage will mean an increase in current, and an increase in heat. Just be mindful you don’t overheat the motor and damage it.

Those stickers are cool though!!

Offline NewStuff

• Vocal proponent of Open Access
  • forum star
  • www.dddwhcc.com
    • Deep Dark Dirty WetHoles
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2017, 04:37:12 pm »
An easy way of polarity protection is to alternate the Male and Female connections, so there is a male and female on each side. You'll see this in an awful lot of commercial power connections.
Alternatively, if you can stand the bulk, Molex Valuseal are excellent for underground, and are keyed.
https://www.mouser.co.uk/search/refine.aspx?Ntk=P_MarCom&Ntt=153080436
Permission? Wassat den?

Offline nihil_enochian

• Milan Rajcic
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2019, 07:38:22 pm »
Hi. Me again. We just bought a new Bosch Uneo but without battery. It cost us 20eur. I now have a problem modifying it. On previous Uneo with integrated battery I only need to remove it and to solder wires which goes to external battery. But on this one there is some kind of electronics and when I connected wires to connections where battery goes, nothing happens. When I press the switch there is only light from that green light which is on top and another white light which lights spot where you drill. Here are the pictures of this uneo to figure it out. I don't know what to do, maybe to avoid electronics? Thanks

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • My Photos
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2019, 11:18:29 pm »
Why modify it? Just use the replaceable batteries, like it's designed. Yes the batteries might be expensive, but China knockoffs exist and it keeps it light and versatile.  :thumbsup:
The end is where we start....

Offline ali_mac

• regular
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2019, 11:54:03 am »
I think the idea is that the weight of a battery and the drill, on the end of your arm can be quite tiring if you are outstretched.
I'm not sure the cost of the batteries is the largest consideration.

Also, modern, fancy cells require propriety chargers and a proper mains power supply, whereas by modifying to a remote battery in a tacklesack, you can use home made/off the shelf batteries which will charge from solar or similar chargers, which is essential for expeditions where you might not have a 20km long extension lead  ;)

Another point would be that all drills on an expedition, regardless of make, could use the same batteries, cutting down again on how much stuff needs carrying...

Offline Ian Ball

• forum star
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2019, 12:38:33 pm »
Are you sure it was working before you bought it?

Offline nihil_enochian

• Milan Rajcic
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2019, 03:01:24 pm »
@Ian: Guy who sold us, told that it was working... Maybe he lied us... It was very weird not to work when I connected it to external battery.

We already have one Uneo that we use all the time which use external lead acid 12V battery. We have 3 batteries, one 3Ah, another 5Ah and third 7Ah. So that is the reason why we don't want to use original batteries. We put 1.6m cable and battery goes in bag which we carry on shoulder. I already spoke with one of my collegues, he will check to see if there is a problem with electronics.

Offline Roger W

• forum hero
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 04:41:44 pm »
The Bosch Shop (https://shop.bosch-do-it.com/gb/en/garden-product/uneo--100043807) quotes £94.99 for a Uneo (inc. battery?  £34 sold separately).  20 euros sounds a bit too good to be true...
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Offline nihil_enochian

• Milan Rajcic
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2019, 09:56:54 pm »
It is not bought in store, ofcourse. Maybe it is not brand new, but it doesn't have any marks that it was used. I will see at friday what is going on with it. Maybe there is a problem with electronics.. Did anyone tried modification on this model?

Offline perop

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2019, 03:18:15 pm »
Hey guys, would like to thank you for a great idea utilising such a small drill to do the work. I've been using it for couple of years now and had to change a couple of them since their motor has very limited number of working hours (at least the ones I've been buying, seccondhand with dead batteries).
To overcome that issue, I've reacently changed the motor with rc brushless one. I am still testing it, but for now it acts like a little beast.. It costed me 30-40$ to do so, Uneo not included.
I will soon be modifing another one for a friend and will make sure to document it with the photos, so I can poste it here.

Thanks again for great thread, it inspired me to experiment with it myself.

P.S. Milan were you able to make your 10v Uneo work?

Offline nihil_enochian

• Milan Rajcic
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2019, 10:40:06 pm »
Nice to hear that you can change to brushless motor.
Yes I succeed to make this Uneo to work. It is 12V model. I don't know why but one guy told me to try to connect 1.5V battery to those secondary connections on uneo and it worked. Below are pictures how I did it. It is not pretty solution but it works. I didn't want to try to connect 12V to those contacts, maybe I would destroy electronics. Does anybody knows why this solution works and for what are that contacts.

Offline perop

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2019, 10:18:36 pm »
Don't know.why it need 1.5v. You can measure a current uneo draws from that 1.5v source and if it is in miliamps range you could produce 1.5v with 2 diodes (4007 should work) and 1k resistor.
Connect ccatode of one diode to -12, catode of another diode to anode of the first diode and resistor between anode of the seccond diode and +12
It should give you 1.4v at the point where you connected the secvond diode with the resistor.