Cost of CROW Referendum

Cookie

Bottlebank said:
Whilst we're asking BCA questions can I ask who did the maths on the cost of the referendum. I'm sure someone mentioned earlier that there are 5,500 members to ballot? A second class stamp costs 53p I think, so 11,000 to cover two ballots would be ?5300, plus the cost of printing the papers, envelopes etc? Of course if I'm wrong and only say 2,000 people are entitled to vote then I'm sure the ?3000 figure is probably just about achievable.

If the second ballot is an online ballot then this could be reduced but from what I can gather we'll still be sent a unique voting number if this happens, so it won't.

I did. I said.

Cookie said:
Cap'n Chris said:
How much ??? is it costing to find out that the answer is yes?

Well North of ?3000 and similar for the follow-up ballot.  :cautious:

There are quite a lot of unknowns. Is the envelope stuffing by volunteers or will it be out-sourced? Cost of printing ballot paper? Cost of envelopes? Will BCA offer free-post for the replys? How much can we use email to reduce the costs of the probable second ballot?

I've checked the number of voters more carefully. There are about 6000 voters. 6000 * 53p postage = ?3180.

So my ?3000 is certainly an under-estimate.

owd git

why not make a download-able ballot paper each member could then add their own individual number ( on ya card!) for authentication and each could post at own cost? (y)
just a thought. it's not like were voting to get out of Europe!
O.G.

damian

The basic reason is that BCA Council decided it wanted a paper vote. There were a number of reasons, including: avoiding any question of an online ballot being rigged; ensuring all members are treated equally; and also making sure the vote happens as quickly as possible. I note that this was not what I had proposed via my report, but the majority view was that it should be 100% paper on this occasion.

By the way, bulk postage rates come out at about 32p per letter. I am working with a number of suppliers at the moment.