Looking for novice cave for afternoon near Matlock Bath.

Mattrees

Hi folks,

I'm have a spare afternoon or two with some 3 keen but inexperienced adults staying in Willersley Castle, Matlock Bath. Can anyone suggest a suitable cave/mine to take them in. (I'm experienced leading others in caves in S Wales and the Forest of Dean but have done little caving in Derbyshire)

Last year two of us visited Nether Hagg Mine and very low water levels meant we could enter the coffin level. Hoping for something drier but longer this time. I don't know the area at all but some research suggests Jug Holes as a reasonable venue, is the through trip a good idea?

Thanks,

Matt

doughobbs

Cumberland and Wapping (a fair amount to go at in there) or up the Via Gellia road there is the easy Mouldrige mine, a little bit closer to Matlock back down the Via Gellia is Slayley Sough and Dunsley Springs

(y)

zomjon

Jug holes is pretty good at giving a good variety, as well as some dodgy old mine workings as well. Remember to go in both the lower and upper sections, and if you want more, Masson Cavern is within easy walking from your parking spot as well.

AR

Devonshire Cavern on the main routes is fine for novices, or Groaning Tor Level in the lower Via Gellia .