Author Topic: Sharbutts Rift - Portland  (Read 521 times)

Offline tim.rose2

• Tim R
  • stalker
Sharbutts Rift - Portland
« on: February 09, 2018, 07:37:02 pm »
I'm guessing very few people were aware but the entrance to Sharbutts rift on Portland (which connects to Sandy Hole) has been blocked for the last few years following a small mud slide.  I've spend a couple of hours today digging a badger set resulting in the entrance being usable again.  I'm going to look at putting in a couple of bolts in to give something to connect string from to improve the friendliness off the cave.  It's described in the Portland book as a severe, very committing top entrance to Sandy being virtually impossible to free ascend. 

Portland isn't flushed with cave passage so regaining Sharbutts felt worthwhile (plus I've never been in there!).  I'm sure a few who have been in before may disagree with this.

A couple of photos - the wedged rock next to the metal part of the spade handle in the first imagine is in the top right hand corner of the second:
Before

After

Offline Pie Muncher

• addict
Re: Sharbutts Rift - Portland
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 08:31:53 pm »
Definitely time well spent. To loose it below future land slips and become no more than a memory would be tragic. Well done. Awaiting details from your first descent.
Growler

Offline tim.rose2

• Tim R
  • stalker
Re: Sharbutts Rift - Portland
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 09:50:54 pm »
There's been another small collapse of mud from above the Sharbutts entrance.  I pulled the worse of the soil out of the way today but really needs a bit of time with a spade again.  The entrance is usable but a little smaller than it was!