Author Topic: Website bollocks  (Read 16424 times)

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
Re: Website bollocks
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 06:57:39 pm »
Yeh, but three quarters of our members can't read and the other quarter don't own computers.

Offline Les W

• Hard cavin'
  • forum hero
  • Wessex Cave Club, UCET
    • Wessex Cave Club
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2006, 07:02:29 pm »
Thats a fairly substantive argument ;D ;D ;D ;D
I'm a very busy person

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2006, 07:07:22 pm »
Oh, they're only approximate figures, plus or minus a percentage point.  :coffee:

Tree Monkey

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2006, 09:44:10 pm »
You should speak with the c**tplaces chap, He will be able to advise you! :idea: :thumbsup: :)

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2006, 10:52:32 pm »
While, once again, I appreciate people trying to be helpful (a very worthy thing to do BTW) the expressions "You should do this", "You should do that" etc. are somewhat missing the point since the things which are being suggested fall outside my repertoire of abilities and, given the way things have panned out, are no longer relevant to me since Andy has stated his willingness to take over the reins; thank you, Andy.
 :thumbsup:

Tree Monkey

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2006, 06:41:12 pm »
Problem solved! :clap2: 8)

Dep

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2006, 12:07:00 pm »
And the save as HTML option writes absolute garbage HTML code that no one could possibly maintain as code. It totally fails to meet any compliancy standard for the code it produces.
This is very true - abandon Word for anything like this:

IMHO by far and away the best text edtor available is freely available at:
http://www.notetab.com/
Actually it was me that said that.

Also check out Notepad Plus for a well regarded and free general programming editor.

If you want something a bit more like Frontpage, but that will produce decent code, Nvu is meant to be excellent.

I would choose webspace that uses LAMP - Linux/Apache/MySql/PHP - these are proven, open source technologies. This site runs on such a server. Personally I'd avoid webspace running on Windows server...though by the sounds of it Win 2003 server is much more secure than their previous offerings.

I totally agree with Bubba's comments on LAMP methodolgy and avoiding Windows server environments.

I would add that I use win32 apache, perl and mySQL on my windows PC and that in practice they are functionally identical to their linux equivalents, enough so that I can completely simulate a linux based web-server on my PC
I don't run a _live_ server fom windows as the only let-down is security, but it does make a very convenient win32 test environment where I can develop the code before uploading to a live (3rd party) linux server.

All the stuff I use for my sites is free, add a bit of shell-scripting/batch files and it all glues together to an effective working environment.

Offline anfieldman

• AKA Mark Whyte a caving
  • junky
  • WCC.......when I get to paying my subs.
    • Marks Artwork
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2007, 06:36:38 pm »
Yeh, but three quarters of our members can't read and the other quarter don't own computers.

I take it that the SCG must be made up exclusively of brain surgeons, rocket scientists and quantum physicians.................. :coffee:
You ain't seen me.......................right?

Dave H

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2007, 09:22:40 am »

I take it that the SCG must be made up exclusively of brain surgeons, rocket scientists and quantum physicians.................. :coffee:

And the one's who don't know what the Internet is, must be Judges! :lol:

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search