Author Topic: Wensleydale, Swaledale and Wharfedale  (Read 1221 times)

Online Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
Wensleydale, Swaledale and Wharfedale
« on: June 07, 2018, 01:08:42 pm »
I'm looking for ideas on a caving story suitable for BBC TV.  It should be a positive story and reflect caving in a good light and be suitable to fit in a varied half hour programme on each of the three National Park dales which are featured.  They are already chosen - Wensleydale, Swaledale and Wharfedale.

Post or PM

Many thanks

Online nobrotson

• Wob Rotson, ULSA
  • menacing presence
  • This not bono. Why the plastic fruit?
Re: Wensleydale, Swaledale and Wharfedale
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 04:12:00 pm »
would the programme be a collection of stories or follow only one story?
the man is mentally ill. I have seen him eat a plastic pie.

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum star
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 04:48:26 pm »
I have seen somewhere, a digital recreation of Sir Francis Level (mine, not cave) in Gunnerside Gill, Swaledale.*

It is a fascinating place and I'm sure the project to digitise it would make an interesting tale.

As an aside, I was actually in the engine chamber at midnight as I turned 21, so I have always claimed that I grew up underground. Needless to say, the champaign was well chilled from the route in!

*badlad, something in the back of my mind says you were involved with this... Am I right there, or have I made that up?
The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Offline alastairgott

• QWERTY abusing
  • forum hero
  • Live in Hope, Die in a Vein
    • CURB Hope Valley Parking Restrictions
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 05:08:26 pm »
I have seen somewhere, a digital recreation of Sir Francis Level (mine, not cave) in Gunnerside Gill, Swaledale.*
I'm pretty sure this was the 3d cave scanning team, Roo Walters and others, I'm almost certain I saw it (a few times) on the big TV screen they had set up in the Trade hall at HE2017.

Sorry for "and others" I don't know who else is on the team, but it's the lot that have been doing the big chambers of the world.

Online Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 05:54:48 pm »
See here https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=19691.0 The video is still there if you scroll down the posts a little.

Good idea though and I am in a good position to blag about it.  ;D

Anymore ideas for these dales?  I understand there is a half hour programme on each of the valleys and the Beeb have expressed an interest in a caving story for one (maybe more) of the episodes.

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 07:00:06 pm »
Regarding Wharfedale, there is always the Lead Mining Industry, the story of the Lost Caverns of Grassington Moor and attempts to access them since.

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 07:26:51 pm »
I agree with Simon - that's a fascinating story and could be weaved into something well worth including. There is a lot of information easily available in Northern Mines Research Group publications (especially the blue "British Mining" book which deals with this area, including a survey of the natural stuff).

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
    • Caving Routes in the Northern Dales
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 07:28:54 pm »
Another possibility is David Hodgson's work in Scoska Cave.

Offline blackshiver

• menacing presence
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 09:51:24 pm »
Exploration and discovery history might be worth thinking about. Moldywarps discovery of Devis hole mine cave in Swaledale. Thackethwhaite beck in Wenslydale and perhaps finish with the diving pushes in White Keld in Wharfedale. All well documented in Caves and Karst of the Yorkshire Dales.
I have a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel.

Offline marysboy

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 10:19:06 am »
Regarding Wharfedale, there is always the Lead Mining Industry...

... and the associated unsolved mystery of "Buckden Bill"

http://www.vetch.co.uk/buckden2/ThemysteryofBuckdenBill.pdf

Online Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 04:40:08 pm »
Just to update this thread.  I took all your ideas to the producer and he liked the Sir Francis level story best.  Rob Franklin was commissioned to do the filming work which they completed last week (thanks for your ideas on this thread https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=23622.0).  Roo Walters was interviewed about the laser scanning work at the entrance.  The series features the presenter Paul Rose (http://www.paulrose.org/) and is similar to a previous series on the Lake District.  Thanks to this, there is further interest in doing features on the underground.  If I find out when it is on I'll let you know - autumn I expect.

Thanks all.