2019 Hidden Earth - planning underway

GarDouth

Administrator
The first 2019 planning meeting took place at the weekend. Lots of great ideas around. No venue yet but several are being looked at and we'll post more as soon as possible. All being well we'll be able to announce a date with a bit more notice this year.

I will be taking over from Emma Porter as lecture secretary so I will be pestering you for your talks in the coming months. :)

Many thanks to Emma for her hard work over the past 10 or so years, she will be joining the technical team and still around to help me get into the swing of things.

Maj

Ed said:
As,long as there is some decent ale, not the Cheddar dishwater

I'm sure as usual that the bar manager will be open to suggestions as to local brews once the venue has been confirmed. In fact if I recall the guest beer (Longdendale Lights) for last year was from a direct contact with a caver that works at Howard Town Brewery.

Note that the data gained over many years shows that Potholer out sells any other brew by about 3 to 1. The other two Cheddar Ale brews change from year to year and always match or exceed the sales of the guest beer. In fact if every caver just tried one pint of the guest beer it would sell out on Fri night but it doesn't. 

In addition, Hidden Earth has a very good relationship with Cheddar Ales.
Unmatchable rates for delivery and collection of empties any where in the country.
An unmatchable returns policy for Hidden Earth.
Cheddar Ales have never let Hidden Earth down, unlike a few of the local breweries that have done in the past.

Maj.

Mendipgirl

Maj said:
Ed said:
As,long as there is some decent ale, not the Cheddar dishwater

I'm sure as usual that the bar manager will be open to suggestions as to local brews once the venue has been confirmed. In fact if I recall the guest beer (Longdendale Lights) for last year was from a direct contact with a caver that works at Howard Town Brewery.

Note that the data gained over many years shows that Potholer out sells any other brew by about 3 to 1. The other two Cheddar Ale brews change from year to year and always match or exceed the sales of the guest beer. In fact if every caver just tried one pint of the guest beer it would sell out on Fri night but it doesn't. 

In addition, Hidden Earth has a very good relationship with Cheddar Ales.
Unmatchable rates for delivery and collection of empties any where in the country.
An unmatchable returns policy for Hidden Earth.
Cheddar Ales have never let Hidden Earth down, unlike a few of the local breweries that have done in the past.

Maj.

Another good reason for a Mendip venue.  Also it is handy to my home in Cheddar.

Alex

Pot holer only sells well because of it's name. its not a very nice beer in my opinion it's just the go to beer. I find northern beers tend to be of better quality in general.  :ras:

droid

Alex said:
Pot holer only sells well because of it's name. its not a very nice beer in my opinion it's just the go to beer. I find northern beers tend to be of better quality in general.  :ras:

I'd suggest that's got more to do with what you're used to, Alex.

However a lot of major beers are contract brewed nowadays nowhere near their associated area. Sharps Doom Bar is an example of this.

Ed

droid said:
Laurie said:
There's no hops in northern beer........ :unsure:

Plenary of hippy northern brews. Just there are more traditional ales that don't rely on hops to.mask the fact cheaper ingredients.......wheat are used to a greater extent

There are, Laurie. Marstons IPA for example.

There's just not the levels you find in Kentish ale.... ;)

Marstons isn't a northern brew.......it Midlands.

mch

Anyway, whichever particular latitude it is north of, Marstons Pedigree is bloody good beer!

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
According to the 'pedia

Marston's is a British brewery, pub and hotel operator. It operates 1,568 pubs in the UK,[3] and is the world's largest brewer of cask ale.[4] 80 per cent of profits come from the pubs division. It was known as Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries plc until 2007 when it rebranded as Marston's.

It owns six breweries and brands including Marston's, Banks's, Jennings, Ringwood, Brakspear, Wychwood, Courage, McEwans, Wainwright, Shipyard and Bombardier.  It also distributes under licence Estrella, Erdinger, Warsteiner, Kirin, Founders and Kaltenberg.