Survey for my University project - very quick to complete :)

LucLikesCaves

Hey all,

it would be great if you could help me with my Uni project. I have created a survey on a light that can prevent injuries by having a 2 headed torch, please could you fill out the survey. Very quick to complete.

here is the link:https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/XWP8BNF

concept statement : ?A compact handheld light (Rather than installed lights) which has two adjustable long lasting, economic LED lights. One facing towards the ground, the other will face forward or above depending on users needs. This allows consumers to safely walk up stairs in dark environments which will reduce the risk of tripping over or falling down stairs. In addition, this can help explorer easier by increasing visibility whilst the compact design allows for one hand use enabling access with their other hand. ?

PeteHall

Cavers typically use a single light mounted on a helmet. This always points where you look and leaves both hands free to navigate through cave passages. Most caving lamps these days use a combination of LED's to provide a focused beam and flood light, for long and short distance.
The exception would be cave divers who often use two lights either side of the helmet to prevent light scatter from a beam immediately in front of the eyes.
From your description, I can't imagine how this concept torch would operate and don't see what benefit it would offer over a head torch in any circumstance, particularly caving.

2xw

speaking from the experience from the students I supervise, these forms feed directly into a data sheet which is then analysed for university projects. Whilst replies are usually interesting, they're almost never useful for the project unless you actually fill in the form.
I'm sure you're just copy pasting what you said in the "other" part of the form to this thread for the sake of discussion, but worth mentioning for others.

ZombieCake

I think you need to revisit the survey questions.  Doesn't really explain anything, apart from age of persons completing the survey.  What on earth is a two headed light?  What scenarios? You asked about camping and exploring but no follow up questions on camping.  There's a thing in computing - garbage in / garbage out.  Don't mean to offend, thing is if you don't ask the right questions you won't get any useful information.  No-one part from your circle will understand what you are thinking unless you spell it out to them.
That said I do see a bit of a gem in what I think you are looking for.

Jon

ZombieCake said:
I think you need to revisit the survey questions.  Doesn't really explain anything, apart from age of persons completing the survey.  What on earth is a two headed light?  What scenarios? You asked about camping and exploring but no follow up questions on camping.  There's a thing in computing - garbage in / garbage out.  Don't mean to offend, thing is if you don't ask the right questions you won't get any useful information.  No-one part from your circle will understand what you are thinking unless you spell it out to them.
That said I do see a bit of a gem in what I think you are looking for.
I thought the same. I was going to fill it out but it made no sense.

2xw

speaking from the experience from the students I supervise, these forms feed directly into a data sheet which is then analysed for university projects. Whilst replies are usually interesting, they're almost never useful for the project unless you actually fill in the form.
I'm sure you're just copy pasting what you said in the "other" part of the form to this thread for the sake of discussion, but worth mentioning for others.

Fulk

I think that PeteHall's remarks are spot on; with one helmet-mounted lamp pointing where you look, what earthly use is an extra light that points in some other direction?

Roger W

You can go caving with a hand-held lamp, but it's not really recommended.  There are lots of times when you need both hands to hold on to things, especially when going up or down - by ladder or SRT.  A helmet-mounted lamp is what you need: as as has been said, if it's properly adjusted the light will shine where you are trying to look.

PeteHall

Peregrina said:
I've filled it in. I can imagine it having some use, just not underground.
I'd be interested to know what use you imagine for it, because I can't think of any.

It sounds like a torch with two different beams, pointing in different directions. Doesn't a flood light do this and more?

I'm also unsure how you are supposed to look in two directions at once; my eyes tend to point in the same direction...

It seems to me like the OP has come up with a solution to a perceived problem, without any understanding of the problem, or doing any market research, to see what solutions already exist (such as a head-torch).

If the OP just wants to tick a box and pass a piece of coursework, this may do it, but if the OP actually wants to design a useful product, I think they need to head back to the drawing board, or better still, think of an innovation that doesn't already have a simpler, better solution.

Cave_Troll

might they be describing the function of mix of flood and spot that many head torches already have ?

whatever the cause, the effect seems to be believed to be large number of accidents

2xw

PeteHall said:
Peregrina said:

If the OP just wants to tick a box and pass a piece of coursework, this may do it, but if the OP actually wants to design a useful product, I think they need to head back to the drawing board, or better still, think of an innovation that doesn't already have a simpler, better solution.

OP is obviously a student, if uni projects ever went anywhere then students would get paid to do them, rather than paying ?9000+ for the privilege. If the student already knew how to do market research and design useful products they wouldn't need to bother being a student, relax and give em some slack!

I don't understand why there is such an aggressive and hostile environment on Ukcaving whenever someone wants a quick survey filling in - especially as replying here, rather than in the actual form, is the least helpful thing you can do. If you don't want to be helpful fine, but don't berate someone.

TheBitterEnd

Well said @2xw, this does seem to happen fairly frequently, it is obviously a requirement of a lot of courses and/or assignments  to do some market research so we get these surveys popping up.  There are a lot of very experienced and knowledgeable people on here and that does sometimes lead to a bit of a dismissive attitude, people learn from their mistakes, it?s better that they learn to do more detailed specification and research rather than just thinking they won?t bother with the grumpy old gits on the caving forum.

Frog2

Survey filled in as best as!

Slightly surprising that given the interest and valid comments no response form the OP to clarify.

PeteHall

2xw said:
PeteHall said:
Peregrina said:

OP is obviously a student, if uni projects ever went anywhere then students would get paid to do them, rather than paying ?9000+ for the privilege. If the student already knew how to do market research and design useful products they wouldn't need to bother being a student, relax and give em some slack!

I don't understand why there is such an aggressive and hostile environment on Ukcaving whenever someone wants a quick survey filling in - especially as replying here, rather than in the actual form, is the least helpful thing you can do. If you don't want to be helpful fine, but don't berate someone.

I don't think constructive criticism can be called 'berating'.

The OP has invited feedback on a product from a group of potential users. Most of those potential users generally can't see a use for the product. This is surely useful for the product designer to know.

One potential user has suggested that they can see a use, so it would also seem useful to share what that use might be.

I also suspect that those who have contributed to this thread have also completed the survey (I did), otherwise they would not know what the questions were about.

Further discussion on this thread will only increase the visibility of the topic and increase the number of survey responses that the OP receives.

Peregrina

PeteHall said:
One potential user has suggested that they can see a use, so it would also seem useful to share what that use might be.

My thought was that if you're walking with a large, powerful handheld spot it could be annoying to constantly flick it down towards the ground by your feet while also trying to look ahead. Especially if it's heavy. If the unit also had a small flood light that pointed downwards then you'd just have to glance downwards to keep walking without having to awkwardly wave the big light around. I've tried to attach a photo of the sort of light I mean, and I'm envisaging it with a small secondary light pointing downwards. I assume the OP reckons this might reduce injuries because you're less likely to trip or slip if the ground is well lit.

Not something that cavers or climbers do. I'm imagining security patrolling a construction site at night, or military or SAR. It might turn out to be worse than a normal (same direction) combined flood and spot, but I don't think the idea is inherently terrible.

Attachments

• UK49_W_1.jpg
    UK49_W_1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 218

kay

Frog2 said:
Survey filled in as best as!

Slightly surprising that given the interest and valid comments no response form the OP to clarify.

As someone said upthread, this survey may well feed results automatically into whatever form is being used for analysis, so OP may be completely unaware of the discussion on this thread. He/she may never sign on to ukcaving again.