Lots of caving / mountaineering / mining books etc available

Pitlamp

The following belonged to a caver who passed away in May. We have to deal with his estate, the proceeds from which will be directed to benefit caving, in way yet to be determined. So we're looking for realistic donations for these items.

If interested, send me a PM with your proper email address (or just email me directly if you know how to). Easiest for us is if these are collected from the Dales - but we could probably ask for help via caver post as long as you don't need things urgently.

Many items are in good condition - but by all means ask for details, or further information on anything of interest.

A Visitor?s Guide To Underground Britain, Richard Fells & Tim Grevatt, 1989, H/B
(Two copies)

Ostereichs faszinierende Hohlenwelt, Robert Bouchal & Josef Wirth, 2000, H/B

Ghar Parau, David Judson, 1973, HB

Underground Adventure, Arthur Gemmell & Jack Myers, 1990 reprint, S/B

Adventures Underground, Dave Haigh & John Cordingley (signed x2), 2017, S/B

It?s Only A Game, Jim Eyre, 2004, S/B

The Game Goes On, Jim Eyre, 2007, S/B

Northern Caves - The Three Counties System & The North West, Sam Allshorn & Paul Swire, 2017, S/B

The Alderley Edge Mines, Chris Carlon & Nigel Dibben, 2012, S/B

Gaping Gill ? 150 years of exploration, Howard Beck, 1984, H/B

Beneath the Cloud Forests ? A History of Cave Exploration in Papua New Guinea, Howard Beck, 2003 (signed), H/B

Papua New Guinea ? Tales from a Wild Island, Howard Beck (signed), 2009, H/B

The Peak Cavern System ? a Caver?s Guide, John Cordingley, 1986, S/B

World Mountaineering ? the world?s great mountains by the world?s great mountaineers, Audrey Selkeld (editor), 1998, large H/B

Caves and Karst of the Yorkshire Dales Volume 1, Ed Tony Waltham & David Lowe (for BCRA) , 2013, S/B

British Caving ? an introduction to speleology, Cecil Cullingford, 1953, H/B

The Underground Atlas ? A Gazetteer of the World?s Cave Regions, John Middleton & Tony Waltham, 1986, H/B

Race against time, Jim Eyre & John Frankland, 1988. S/B

The Shell Book of Knots and Ropework, Eric Fry 1977, H/B

Sid Perou ? 30 Years as an Adventure Cameraman, Book one; Light into darkness (includes DVD), Sid Perou, (undated), S/B

Buried Alive ? in Drakewalls Mine, Patrick E Coleman1998, S/B

About Caves, Terry Shannon, 1960, H/B

National Geographic Vol.179, No.3, March 1991 ? includes major article on Lechuguilla Cave (pages 34-59), S/B

Anytime . . . Anywhere ? The first fifty years of the Upper Wharfedale Fell Rescue Association, by team members and friends, 1998, S/B (Two copies)

Cave Passages ? Roaming the Underground Wilderness, Michael Ray Taylor, 1996, H/B

Caving Practice & Equipment, Ed David Judson, 1991, S/B

They found a Cave, (children?s book), Nan Chauncy, (date uncertain, probably 1960s), H/B

Over Tyrolese Hills, F. S. Smythe, 4th edition (1938), H/B

Caverhills, (novel), Harold Bindloss, 1944 reprint, H/B

Yorkshire Dales: limestone country, Tony Waltham, 1984, H/B

Northern Caves Volume One ? Wharfedale, Brook / Coe/ Davies / Long, 1972, S/B

Classic Caves of the Peak District, Iain Barker, 1997, S/B

The Yorkshire Dales, (many aerial photographs), Colin Speakman, 1993, H/B (large)

Cave of Alistrati, (VHS video), Nicolaos Symeonidis, (date unknown).

Hard Rock, Ken Wilson, 1975, H/B

Into Thin Air, John Krakauer, 1997, S/B

Cave Surveys from the Yorkshire Dales, Steve Warren, 2017, S/B (A4)

Shuttleworth Pot into Witches Cave II, Pete Monk, (undated, 2011?), S/B (A4)

Craven Pothole Club Record Nos: 52, 72, 113, 118, 121, 122,  S/B (A4)

Craven Pothole Club China 2003 Expedition, S/B )A4)

White Rose Pothole Club Journal 2001, S/B (A4)

The Caver - NCC Journal. (undated but 1989 I think), S/B (A4)

Proc UBSS: march 1970, Nov 1966, March 1969, S/B

Descent magazine Nos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 16, 18, 19, 91, 236, S/B

Descent handbook for cavers 1970, S/B

III European Speleological Congress (Portugal) Abstracts, S/B (A4)

Andalucia Subterranica No.13, 1999 S/B (A4)

La Espeleologia Un Mundo Por Conocer (Fed. Andaluzia De Espel.) 1998, S/B (A4)

Pitlamp

Thanks Barny - we're in contact now.

For anyone else, a few items are now spoken for; I'll probably post an updated list tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'll keep my eyes open for PMs.

Pitlamp

Many thanks to those who have contacted me with offers of donations.

To help other readers, I thought an update would be helpful. I've also added a note or two to flag up certain points.

Please see notes in the original post above about why these are offered and especially about supplying an email address.

Here's what's left:

A Visitor?s Guide To Underground Britain, Richard Fells & Tim Grevatt, 1989, H/B
(Two copies)

Ostereichs faszinierende Hohlenwelt, Robert Bouchal & Josef Wirth, 2000, H/B (This is in German, with lots of nice images of Austrian caves.)

Adventures Underground, Dave Haigh & John Cordingley (signed x2), 2017, S/B (This copy is in very good and is signed by both authors.)

It?s Only A Game, Jim Eyre, 2004, S/B

Northern Caves - The Three Counties System & The North West, Sam Allshorn & Paul Swire, 2017, S/B
(Very good condition - the new Volume 3)

World Mountaineering ? the world?s great mountains by the world?s great mountaineers, Audrey Selkeld (editor), 1998, large H/B

The Underground Atlas ? A Gazetteer of the World?s Cave Regions, John Middleton & Tony Waltham, 1986, H/B (Extremely useful reference work for expedition cavers.)

Buried Alive ? in Drakewalls Mine, Patrick E Coleman, 1998, S/B
(The story of an accident - and escape - from a mine in eastern Cornwall.)

They found a Cave, (children?s book), Nan Chauncy, (date uncertain, probably 1960s), H/B

Yorkshire Dales: limestone country, Tony Waltham, 1984, H/B (two copies)

The Yorkshire Dales, (many aerial photographs), Colin Speakman, 1993, H/B (large)

Northern Caves Volume 1 - Wharfedale, Brook / Coe / Davies / Long, 1972, S/B. (Note, this is the very first ever edition of the Northern Caves series of guides - not the most recent edition of this volume. The first edition had a habit of self destructing with rough use but this copy is in well above average condition.)

Proc UBSS: March 1970, Nov 1966, March 1969, S/B

Descent magazine No. 236

Pitlamp

Time for another update. Note - there are a few new items on the list (below the dotted line).

These are currently available:

(Two copies)

(excellent condition)

Northern Caves - The Three Counties System & The North West, Sam Allshorn & Paul Swire, 2017, S/B.
(Possibly spoken for?)

The Underground Atlas ? A Gazetteer of the World?s Cave Regions, John Middleton & Tony Waltham, 1986, H/B

Buried Alive ? in Drakewalls Mine, Patrick E Coleman1998, S/B

Yorkshire Dales: limestone country, Tony Waltham, 1984, H/B (2 copies)

The Peak Cavern System, a caver?s guide, John Cordingley, 1986, S.B

Proc UBSS: march 1970, Nov 1966, March 1969, S/B

Descent magazine  236,

Northern Caves Volume 1 ? Wharfedale, Brook / Coe / Davies / Long, 1972, S/B
(Note, this is the first ever edition of the Northern Caves series, not the most recent edition of Volume 1. The first edition tended to self-destruct but this copy is in well above average condition.)
(Possibly spoken for?)

?????????????????????????...

New additions:

Clearwell Caves ? Ancient Iron Mines, 16 page colour booklet, S/B.

Part 1 Lancaster Hole, by Hall, Wilkinson & others, 2001. (Companion booklet to go with Sheet 1 of the new Red Rose Lancaster Hole survey. Does not include the survey itself.) 24 pages, S/B, A4.

St Cuthbert?s Swallet (copy No. 791), by Dave Irwin / BEC. 82 pages, S/B, A4.

Bar Pot and Flood Entrance Pot, (?1980?), bound photocopy of companion booklet that went with the large LUSS survey of Bar & Flood Entrance Pots. (The survey isn?t included.). S/B, A4.

The Ease Gill System, Jim Eyre, BCRA one off publication (Speleo History Series No.1) ? date uncertain ? earl 1990s? 48 pages, A4, S/B.

The National Show Cave Centre For Wales ? Dan-yr-Ogof, 24 page show cave booklet, A4, S/B

Timeless Cheddar Caves, 20 page show cave booklet, A4, S/B

Fairy Cave Quarry, G.Price, Cerberus Spelaeological Society Occasional Publication No.1, August 1977. S/B, A4, 72 pages.

Pitlamp

Quick update - the following are now spoken for:

The Ease Gill System, Jim Eyre, BCRA one off publication (Speleo History Series No.1) ? date uncertain ? earl 1990s? 48 pages, A4, S/B.

Northern Caves - The Three Counties System & The North West, Sam Allshorn & Paul Swire, 2017, S/B.

In a day or two I also hope to post a short list of outdoor gear which is available on a similar basis (i.e. donations to a good cause) as these books.  This is mainly camping gear (tents, sleeping bags and a few sundries), snow & ice gear (ice axes / hammers and assorted crampons), and a rather nice down duvet jacket.  More details soon.

Pitlamp

Here's what's left now. I'm surprised the copy of Adventures Underground hasn't yet been asked for; it's in almost pristine condition!

Descent No.236 (Feb / March 2015)

Fairy Cave Quarry, CSS / G.Price, 1977 (A4, S/B)

"Part 1; Lancaster Hole" - A4, 24 page booklet of notes to accompany the Red Rose resurvey of the Ease Gill system. (Notes only, not the survey itself)

Bar Pot and Flood Entrance Pot including Wades Entrance and OBJ Hole - LUSS notes to accompany their (1980?) survey of all the complexities of Bar Pot etc. 10 pages, A4 / SB.

Pitlamp

More items are now spoken for; here's the updated (much shorter!) list of what's left:

Descent No.236 (Feb / March 2015)

"Part 1; Lancaster Hole" - A4, 24 page booklet of notes to accompany the Red Rose resurvey of the Ease Gill system. (Notes only, not the survey itself)