Reminder - Miners Lamp Society Little Meet 2019

rhychydwr1

Dear lamp collectors, a reminder that this year?s Little Meet at Caphouse is only two weeks away on Sunday, 13 October 2019.  This is a fortnight earlier than last year to avoid the half term school holiday and clock change.

The address is:
Hope Room
National Coal Mining Museum for England
Caphouse Colliery
New Road
Overton
Wakefield WF4 4RH

The museum opens at 10am, admission is free and we hope to see you and your family there.

As usual, there will be lamps and other mining memorabilia for sale.  If you have lamps to sell, swap or display, tables are free but you do need to let us know and book one in advance.

You are also welcome to join a few of us for dinner at a nearby pub If you will be in the neighbourhood on the evening of Saturday, 12 October.  Do let us know if you can join us so that we can reserve a place for you.

If you have not yet renewed your miners lamp society membership for 2019-20, it is not too late.  It only costs ?14.  Get in touch for details of how to pay.

We look forward to seeing you at the Little Meet.

Regards

Dave, Gary & Maurice

moorebooks

Fulk said:
You taking the piss or what?

seems an odd thing to say?

As I understand it the society meets twice a year around Easter at Pleasley Colliery where they occupy all of the site around the engine houses and headgears. That is called the Big Meet where they effectively have the run of the place . Its brilliant place to visit Sausage baps are a must

At Caphouse they are obviously restricted as its a National museum and can only use allocated spaces.

The society have produced a number of Unique volumes on Mining Lamps which in some cases very rare and valuable

Mike

Fulk

Many apologies; I'm very sorry, it just seemed strange (to me) that there should exist such a society.

Tseralo

Fulk said:
Many apologies; I'm very sorry, it just seemed strange (to me) that there should exist such a society.

And societys that enjoy going into small underground spaces, full of mud, that also frequently fill with water are normal?

ttxela2

Fulk said:

No stranger perhaps than organisations devoted entirely to following streams where they disappear underground......

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Fulk said:
You taking the piss or what?

Perhaps the surprise was more because the OP seems to have come from beyond the grave.  See

https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=24455.0

:eek:

moorebooks

Fulk said:

Understood

Perhaps if you look up Stephenson and Davy lamps you might realise just how 1000's of lives these lamps saved. Over the years from 1815 there have been all sorts of modifications and different models. The miners lamps or versions are still in use today in enclosed / confined  spaces . In fact if you are digging where you suspect the air maybe poor and can't afford expensive electronic devices a miners lamp is still a perfect way of testing the area and better than a canary .

The collecting of the lamps is a massive interest particularly in Germany . These lamps can exchange for astronomic figures  ?20k+ plus is not that unusual for a rare model . Although you can pick  a protector lamp for around ?50 - ?60 . I have a number of cheaper lamps they look much nicer than ceramic figures and engineering quality is something else

I do know cavers that collect these lamps and will attend the event at Caphouse which is easily accessible.

The museum at Caphouse is worth a visit and the underground although in artificial in places . Does use a proper winding engine and cage you get to see the workings at 140m down
Mike

Fulk

Thank you, Mike, for that information; and once again, apologies to all who have posted here.

I don't suppose this is worth 20,000 k.  ;)

Attachments

• Lamp.jpg
    Lamp.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 138